Looks like I need to build…what to do?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Looks like I need to build…what to do?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I had a lightning hit earlier in June that suspiciously appeared to do little damage. Well I went to update my iphone on my desktop PC (amd 939-3800) and the computer won’t recognize USB peripherals(my iphone, usb stick, external hard drive). The computer appears to work fine otherwise.

Options are limited for socket 939 boards and I’m asking myself if I would rather take the CPU out of this computer and upgrade my fileserver’s processor also 939 and ram, and then do a new built outright. This is where things are a little more complicated.

I’ve got my HTPC which I rebuilt in early 2008 with a duo core E4300 and a Radeon 3850 card. This computer is humming along nicely, but if I’m going to rebuild, maybe it would be a good idea to put new parts in the HTPC and take the old guts into the desktop that is giving me the problem. Both the HTPC and the desktop case are full height and will fit ATX motherboards.

To that end, I’m also not sure what I would put in the computer since I really had not expected on building soon. I would like to keep things(motherboard, cpu, ram, gpu) under $500. Maybe it would just be wise to take $50 and buy a 939 board and call it a day and worry about upgrading later.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.