LinuxMCE: Pure Propaganda or quality?

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground LinuxMCE: Pure Propaganda or quality?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1444&Itemid=1]Original Article Link[/url]

I’m all for it, but I think the video needs a prequel in which the guy spends 3 months getting Linux MCE to work. Or a disclaimer that not using the exact hardware and software components in exactly the same environment will lead to malfunctions. YMMV. His “I just plugged in my pc and it controlled my tv, stereo and lights” is unbelievable to anyone who’s toiled to get linux up and running.

It’s just too easy to create a video that makes a media center setup look amazing while ignoring its flaws and limitations. (I know, I’ve done it) Knowing the flaws and limitations of any media center software is crucial to making an informed decision whether you’re willing to accept them and use it. I use MCE b/c Sage was a little too buggy (at the time), my wife can pick up the well designed remote and watch anything, and it benefits from being a windows product w/ driver support.  I’ve tried linux and will likely try again but the pedantic tone and plug and play claims in this video make it difficult to take seriously.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.