Known issue with Hauppauge capture and Sony Vegas 10?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Known issue with Hauppauge capture and Sony Vegas 10?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Thanks again to everyone who helped me build my first HTPC. Now I’m having a software issue on my primary purpose: recording content off my DVR to free it up (and trying to get something free for the wife this weekend!).

From what I’ve been able to figure out last night, WinTV only records 1080i into TS files (no choices) and ArcSoft has 3 choices but they are all limited to 480p. Is that correct?

Regardless, I used WinTV7 7.2.29209 (the latest) to capture an SD show, until I discovered I couldn’t get around the the file type limitation AND that when I imported the TS files into Sony Vegas Plat 10.0 (build 179), they came in with no audio track. I verified that the audio plays successfully via Splash Lite.

So I tried ShowBiz 3.5.17.76 (the latest) to record M2TS files and it does the exact same thing!

Is there any knowledge out there on this issue? So far I’ve only found that 2 people on Amazon have it workinggreat and 1 person on Newegg had the same problem (and all he got was 2 Not Helpfuls for it) … and really nothing else back from Google. The Hauppauge and Sony sites don’t see to show this problem either, but I’ve spent less time searching them so far (and i need to eat 😀 ).

Thanks for any help!

swoon

Using ArcSoft ShowBiz and the Hauppauge Colossus, you can record 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. For the review, I tested 480i, 720p and 1080i from a cable STB.

As far as the ArcSoft ShowBiz container support, you can capture to TS, M2TS and MP4. I had no problems playing back TS files in Windows Media Player.

I have no experience with Sony Vegas Platinum so I have no idea why it is not able to successfully import the TS file you created. TS are pretty standard and just about anything can play them back. Perhaps Sony support will be able to help with this import issue.

SpacemanSpiff2000

I see. Thanks. My assertion on the ShowBiz formats were based on the Capture > Format Settings screen where the Aspect Ratio only provides choices for 480i and 480p. I guess the other formats are automatic? I’m also capturing from a STB for now.

I guess that makes it true that there is only one WinTV output format. Maybe it’s just less technically informative via the Capture “Best” to “Fair” choices (plus the 3rd party decoders make no sense to me if one can only record to one format).

I agree that the playback of results is fine. Just trying to use the software I have/know vs. ArcSoft for trimming/splicing.  I have the same problems with M2TS files from ArcSoft in Vegas … which makes me suspect the Hauppauge s/w because Vegas works just fine with the MTS files from a Canon Vixia and the MOV files from a Canon PowerShot and iPod Touch.

I’ll keep looking and hoping for more info. Thanks!

swoon

The aspect ratio settings are only applicable to SD content. During my testing, I found it best to set the aspect ratio manually to 16:9 and keep the auto box unchecked. In this mode, the STB should be set to send 4:3 SD content with side bars.

When outputting video into ArcSoft ShowBiz, the application will automatically detect the incoming video and display the resolution e.g., 1280 x 720 for 720p video. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.