Is it possible to disable the delete option in Media Center?

Home Forums Windows Media Center Is it possible to disable the delete option in Media Center?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

I just got Media Center setup last night and setup my media libraries since my Ceton card came in. I have a friend staying with me, another TiVo user, so I figured I would give him access to play with Media Center. One thing I would like to do if possible is disable the delete function at least in videos so he can’t accidentally delete shows from my server. I don’t care about recorded TV since I am letting him add a bunch of series I don’t watch, but I am afraid he will delete shows from the server since he is used to TiVo’s copy function where he isn’t streaming direct so delete just deletes TiVo’s copy.

Any ideas? This would only be from the 360s and not from my main PC.

mikinho

There is no way to hide the button.  You can easily remove access from the Media Center Extender user accounts.

They are mcx-* accounts.  When I used Extenders I would create a user group for extenders and change the ACLs for my media to be read-only for that group.  I would explicitly add a Deny ACL for Delete to prevent inherited ACLs from allowing it.

brennok

I found the MCX users under users for my two extenders. I glanced at them but didn’t see a way to set permissions on them. The drives are network shares and the MCX users weren’t among the list of users.

I will see if I can figure out how to set up a user group for the extenders when I get home from work. I have never messed with it since previously didn’t have the need.

Thanks.

brennok

Sorry I must be missing something. I was able to create a user group with my two Media Center users. Now I did it on my Media Center PC. Since this is a network share that is mapped as a network drive would I actually do this on my WHS?

When I try to edit permissions or add groups to the folder to edit them since it is my WHS, it isn’t giving me the option to edit/add them and location is locked to the WHS.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.