Is component video and HD audio over HDMI possible?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Is component video and HD audio over HDMI possible?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

I just ordered a Onyko TX-SR608 for two reasons:
    1.  My Harman Kardon AVR630 is on it’s last legs
    2.  I wanted a receiver that could handle DTS-HD and Dolby True HD

Now the problem is that my TV’s DVI input (no HDMI on it) does not work.  This hasn’t been a big deal because I’ve just been using the component video.  So my question is, what are my options for using component video while still getting HD Audio to my receiver?  Will a ATI 5xxx video card output analog video while also sending HD Audio to the receiver?  I am assuming this is not possible, but thought I’d ask.  I’ve considered the Auzentech sound card that will do HD Audio but I read on their website that it’s designed for PowerDVD 9 and I am using TMT3 so I don’t even know if this is an option.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

captain_video
    Participant

Does your receiver have HDMI inputs and component outputs?  If so, you should be able to use the HDMI output from your HTPC for the digital audio and video and then have the receiver convert the video to analog and send the output to the TV via component connection.  I would think most receivers that have both types of inputs and outputs should be able to convert them to the proper signal if they have the switching capability.

[quote=”captain_video”]
      Does your receiver have HDMI inputs and component outputs?  If so, you should be able to use the HDMI output from your HTPC for the digital audio and video and then have the receiver convert the video to analog and send the output to the TV via component connection.  I would think most receivers that have both types of inputs and outputs should be able to convert them to the proper signal if they have the switching capability.
      [/quote]

Nope. upconverting from analog to HDMI is allowed, the opposite is not. It breaks the rules of copy protection, etc. You won’t find a receiver that will go HDMI to analog.

[quote=”jbachman2″]
      I just ordered a Onyko TX-SR608 for two reasons:
      1.  My Harman Kardon AVR630 is on it’s last legs
      2.  I wanted a receiver that could handle DTS-HD and Dolby True HD

Now the problem is that my TV’s DVI input (no HDMI on it) does not work.  This hasn’t been a big deal because I’ve just been using the component video.  So my question is, what are my options for using component video while still getting HD Audio to my receiver?  Will a ATI 5xxx video card output analog video while also sending HD Audio to the receiver?  I am assuming this is not possible, but thought I’d ask.  I’ve considered the Auzentech sound card that will do HD Audio but I read on their website that it’s designed for PowerDVD 9 and I am using TMT3 so I don’t even know if this is an option.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
      [/quote]

Modern graphics cards don’t do component output anymore, since HDMI is so common now. So sadly you need to figure out how to get that DVI port working. What TV is it? and why is the DVI port dead? Can you have it repaired?

So beyond the Auzentech sound card is there anyother one that does HD Audio?  Has anyone tried the Auzentech one with TMT3?

captain_video
      Participant

The Asus HDAV 1.3 can bitstream HD audio via HDMI or via analog outputs using the daughter card that comes with the deluxe version.  It comes with a special version of TMT2.X specifically designed to work with the HDAV 1.3.  I believe TMT3 will also work with it.  The HDMI output from your graphics card is routed through the HDAV card and the audio is transmitted via HDMI along with the video signal.  I’m not sure if you can use just the audio output without running the video through the card as well.  You can check the Asus website for details on the card.  There’s also a long thread at the AVS Forums that discuss both this card and the newer slimline version.

I am currently using a Nvidia 9400 GT for video, can I set the card to output both analog video via the component and digital via the DVI connection at the same time?  This way I could run the HD sound to the reciever and the analog video directly to the TV.  I am probably dreaming this would work and I’d still need an external video switcher for the TV.

I guess I might have to go LPCM for analog HD Audio.  I am currently running an Auzentech Meridian (I believe) sound card, would it handle this?

The 3rd option is a new 50″ Panasonic Plasma.  However, I really don’t wanna spend an extra $1000 right now.

jrandeck
        Participant

To get audio from the DVI port on your video card (assuming your card supports that) you’ll need the adapter made specifically for that card, a standard DVI to HDMI adapter won’t work since audio isn’t part of the DVI standard, so different manufacturers have different schemes to make that work. 

Beyond that, I’d think it should be possible to have both outputs active (as if you have two monitors), but it would probably take some tweaking of settings. 

[quote=”jbachman2″]
          I guess I might have to go LPCM for analog HD Audio.  I am currently running an Auzentech Meridian (I believe) sound card, would it handle this?[/quote]

I’m running the X-Meridian, and it works almost flawlessly for this. It is very easy to set up.

However, TMT does downsample the audio from 24-bit to 16-bit. I haven’t been able to conduct testing anywhere to see if that is something where I can hear the difference. The only way to retain 24-bit audio in TMT is to bitstream to an AVR.

However #2, It looks like about half of the Blu-rays out there, maybe more are only using 16-bit sampling anyways..so for about half your movies you will get the full complete audio signal without alteration using analog. [url=http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=760714]Unoffical Blu-ray AV Specs at AVSForum[/url]

I guess I’ll go with LPCM for now as it won’t cost me any more money 🙂  I would have tried it with my Harmon Kardon but the on screen calibration died on it along with video switching so I didn’t know what the heck else was wrong with it.

Time to order cables from monoprice 😛

Personally I don’t think you’ll be able to tell the difference between the HD audio and the Spdif.  I’ve tried to blind test it and I can’t tell.  But, have fun!

Don’t spend too much money on it just to get HD audio working on that setup since it is kinda a stopgap measure.  A new TV with HDMI will probably be needed sometime in the future and the $ would be better spent on a TV than on an obsolete soundcard.

Anonymous

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011402&p_id=5035&seq=1&format=2

You can use the HDfury to convert your HDMi to VGA/Component, the audio could then be transmitted separately.

Bryan

Yes, I forgot about the HD fury.  That would work wonders and would probably come in handy sometime in the future after they start blocking content on analog.

[quote=”autoboy”]
            Don’t spend too much money on it just to get HD audio working on that setup since it is kinda a stopgap measure.  A new TV with HDMI will probably be needed sometime in the future and the $ would be better spent on a TV than on an obsolete soundcard.
            [/quote]

+1

Actually, my obsolete sound card is what enables me to avoid investing any money in slightly improved receiver after slightly improved receiver. Out of my entire setup it has made my AVR the one thing I don’t care about upgrading. If I got new speakers, I might be tempted to add an external amp, but the AVR would still be a completely functional PrePro.

I can always run my video direct to the tv and not have to worry about my AVR molesting it because it supports the wrong HDMI version.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.