IR signal through fan

Home Forums Beginner General Questions IR signal through fan

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I am thinking of getting this case.  i know its not exactly a straight HTPC case but I will use the comp as an HTPC.  I would like to put an IR receiver in it. Do you think an IR receiver could get signal through the spinning fan on the front?

swoon

That’s interesting, I’m planning to purchase that exact case for a desktop when it is in stock on Newegg or Amazon.

I don’t believe IR through a fan will be reliable, but it’s worth a try. If you don’t mind a little modding, you could drill a hole through the 3.5″ bay cover.

SSMI

I would hate to do that though and possibly wreck the case but that might be the best option.  My system will probably be a HTPC/Medium Gaming machine more like a gaming hooked up to a tv with xbmc.

PAPutzback

Depending on the size of the hole could you use one of the mounting holes for the IR receiver. 

swoon

Another option then could be to find a piece of black plastic and replace the 3.5″ aluminum cover and drill that. If you could find a piece of smoked black plastic that was mostly opaque but allowed IR through or some black mesh, you wouldn’t need to drill.

swoon

FYI, Amazon now has the Silverstone TJ08-E chassis for sale so I placed my order so it comes when they get them in stock. I am excited to get my hands on this one. It is hard to find a smaller mini-ATX tower that has the shallow depth but can fit some awesome discrete GPUs and is a modern, refined chassis with cable management and good cooling.

Newegg also has it in stock now, but it is more expensive with shipping.

swoon

Guess what, I tried out your idea of using internal IR through the fan in the TJ08-E and it works as long as the IR isn’t too far off axis. You can look forward to a full review of this chassis on Missing Remote.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.