Integra Receiver – Audio but no Picture over HDMI

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Integra Receiver – Audio but no Picture over HDMI

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mike Garcen
    Participant

I helped a friend out with an install yesterday (sick setup with 2 B&W gorgeous standing speakers and a B&W Sub, along with an Integra AVR…and then a 32″ Sony Tube TV *shivers*).

I won’t be back there to fix this, since I worked around it but this is more so for my piece of mind. When I connected the STB (AT&T U-Verse) and their DVD Player (Sony) to the Integra via HDMI cable, I was able to HEAR audio but NO VIDEO, just blue screen.

The Integra was connected VIDEO OUT via Component since the TV did not have HDMI IN. I messed with all the settings, and pretty sure I had set the in/output correct on the unit since it’s seemingly simple, but for the life of me this has me stumped.

Any ideas? Is it not possible to input an HDMI device and have it output over Component? That was my only guess.

htpc_user

No, it won’t work like that.  It would work in reverse, with component to the receiver and HDMI out to a TV assuming the receiver converts analog signals to HDMI.  I’m just saying hypothetically that’s how it’d work; I know your friend’s setup is incapable of that.  But your guess is correct; it’s not possible.  Best way to do it would be to go component and optical/coaxial from the STB and the same from the DVD player.

Mike Garcen

phew! ok, i feel less stupid now 🙂 That’s what i ended up doing, component+optical one way, and then component+analog the other device. Luckily they listen to music more than movies, so really just cared about 2-channel stereo.

thanks!

babgvant

I’m not aware of any AVR that will do a digital-to-analog conversion most likely due to HDCP restrictions.  Bypassing the AVR for video from each device is probably the best option, but if the TV has fewer component inputs an HDFury would be a potential solution.

swoon

What’s the model #? Maybe something can be gleaned from the manual.

Mike Garcen

i don’t have the model. but not a big deal, they’re happy as is now, and i already told them to just buy a new LCD tv 🙂 but they have existing furniture excuse 😛

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.