IDF 2010: Acer Revo 2, Asus Companion Box sport Intel Atom CE4100 processors, WMC Embedded

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground IDF 2010: Acer Revo 2, Asus Companion Box sport Intel Atom CE4100 processors, WMC Embedded

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    mikinho
    Participant

Original Article Link

There seems to be some confusion whether WS7P\WS7C (both SKUs of Windows Embedded Standard 7 that include Windows Media Center) will support CableCard tuners.  Even though the beta did not include it, WS7P\WS7C will include CableCard support.

The big question is whether manufacturers will release products with the Ceton InfiniTV4 or not.

jrandeck
      Participant

If only these could be used as extenders then I’d be one happy geek also 🙂

It has to be only a matter of time before we see extenders….

mikinho
        Participant

[quote=”robinhoody”]
          It has to be only a matter of time before we see extenders….
          [/quote]

I’ve been saying that for years….I think we will see Softsled released for WS7P only before we see another Extender architecture.

1) I assume that these devices will be the equivalent to a Tivo box only running media center.  Will the ordinary home user have direct access to the operating system similar to a standard OS install or will it boot directly into Media Center and the standard consumer will not have a way to access the OS?

2) Mikinho, you state that WS7PWS7C will support cable card, do you know if it supports the HD-PVR as well for satelite users?

3) Does WS7PWS7C  support extenders?

4) Given that it uses the same hardware platform as the boxee box, is cost expected to be in the same $200-250 range?

Heres the engadget release….if you listen closely he says a quad tuner.  The remote looks pretty sweet.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/14/acer-shows-off-windows-media-center-embedded-at-idf/

mikinho
          Participant

Sorry ruwacked, I inadvertently edited your post instead of quoting it.  I lost some of your reply, I apologize.

Below is my intended response.

I’ll try to answer to the best of my knowledge but I’m limited to the same public beta so I could easily be wrong.

[quote]1) I assume that these devices will be the equivalent to a Tivo box only running media center.  Will the ordinary home user have direct access to the operating system similar to a standard OS install or will it boot directly into Media Center and the standard consumer will not have a way to access the OS?[/quote]

It depends on the build implemented by the hardware manufacturer.  I suspect most will opt to not include the Windows shell and have it boot directly into Windows Media Center.

[quote]
            2) Mikinho, you state that WS7PWS7C will support cable card, do you know if it supports the HD-PVR as well for satelite users?[/quote]

I honestly don’t know but I can try it out tomorrow night.

[quote]3) Does WS7PWS7C  support extenders?[/quote]

I believe it does but I haven’t tested it at home yet so I’m not 100%.  This could also be a case similar to CableCARD where it didn’t make it into the public beta but is in the final.

[quote]4) Given that it uses the same hardware platform as the boxee box, is cost expected to be in the same $200-250 range?[/quote]

We can only hope.

Thanks for the answers!  This definitely opens a world of possibilities for the WMC platform especially if softsled ever becomes a reality for these devices. 

Since these would be consumer devices, I would think they would have a hard time selling with the ceton quad tuner as it would cost at least $6-700, but if Ceton released their dual tuner or the Hauppauge/Silicon Dust tuner was used and that system is in the $4-500 range, I think it could provide a lot of competition to Tivo in the consumer market.

I really hope they decide to implement softsled into Embedded and that places like Newegg are able to sell it for OEM or something. With the way it’s shaping up I’d LOVE to use on an HTPC. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.