HTPC update, need advice

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help HTPC update, need advice

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Chroner

I forgot to ask about commercial detection/skipping.  Are there WMC addons that allow use of tools like commercialskip?  Are there any problems implementing it with potentially DRM flagged content?

babgvant

[quote=Chroner]

it is my understanding that the ceton card has multiple tuners that can be ‘allocated’ to different machines since they act as network tuners.  would i be able to allocate 1 of the tuners to PC2 (with the remaining allocated to PC1) and then record or view live content on PC2?  So for example, i could be watching live content using PC1 (or content that was recorded on PC1) in 1 room, while my wife could be using PC2 to watch live content (or content recorded on PC 2). 

Is that correct?

[/quote]

Yes

[quote=Chroner]

is there an expected timeframe on IVB?  I’m not in a particular rush to swap hardware at this point, but i was thinking of doing it prior to summer.  I’d probably try to keep the budget for the upgrade around $700 including the tuners.  I figure around $250-300 for tuners, $150-200 for cpu, $100-150 for mobo, $40-50 for memory.  I plan to use my existing HDD’s and case, but I’ll have to take a look at the PSU to see if it will be sufficient.

[/quote]

April or May.

babgvant

[quote=Chroner]

I forgot to ask about commercial detection/skipping.  Are there WMC addons that allow use of tools like commercialskip?  Are there any problems implementing it with potentially DRM flagged content?

[/quote]

Yes to both questions. It isn’t possible to scan files with DRM currently.

Chroner

I’m ready to start putting together a hardware list and figured Id post here for suggestions.

I’m planning to grab an ivy bridge chip but haven’t figured if I’ll be using the built in graphics yet.  If I go with the built in graphics I’d probably grab a 3570K for the 4000 graphics.  My other option is to go with a less expensive chip and use a nvidia gts 450 i’ve got on the shelf.  The primary use of the machine will be TV record/watch, DVD/Bluray, and web browsing so I’m not anticipating a need for powerful graphics.  Any thoughts?

I’m also looking for sugestions on boards.  If I go with the 3570K and 4000 graphics, I’ll probably look for a microATX board since I won’t have to worry about any full height cards.  Perhaps something like GIGABYTE GA-Z77M-DH3.  If I use the gts 450, I’d probably go with a full size ATX build and grab something like GA-Z77-DH3.

The only cards I anticipate having are a ceton infiniTV 4 and potentially a graphics card.  I’ll use the mobo onboard sound and NIC.

Anything I am missing?

babgvant

If you’re looking at IVB, wait a few weeks. There will be more suitable HTPC IPG w/ HD4000.

I generally recommend Intel Media Series motherboards because they have Intel NICs (instead of the Realteks found on most other OEMs) and are usually very stable.

mikinho

I was under the impression there was only a single HD4000 Core i3 and it may not be released retail.

Aaron Ledger

It won’t be cheap, but the i7-3770T is only 45W TDP w/HD4000 and there’s also the i7-3770S which is 65W TDP. Pretty amazing parts for TDP considering they match i3 SNB and beat i3 Clarkdale though they are more expensive.

RehabMan

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

It won’t be cheap, but the i7-3770T is only 45W TDP w/HD4000 and there’s also the i7-3770S which is 65W TDP. Pretty amazing parts for TDP considering they match i3 SNB and beat i3 Clarkdale though they are more expensive.

[/quote]

i3-2100T SNB is 35W TDP.  So not quite a “match” at 45W.

But still amazing. 

Aaron Ledger

Right. Sorry for the misinformation. I was thinking of the non-T i3 variants. I should have brought that up considering I have two i3-2100t myself!

babgvant

[quote=mikinho]

I was under the impression there was only a single HD4000 Core i3 and it may not be released retail.

[/quote]

AFAIK, IVB i3s won’t be out until Q3 ’12. You probably have better insight into the specifics; I haven’t seen much beyond rumor.

There will be a 65W i5 w/ HD4000 mid-June – probably going to pick one up 🙂

Chroner

I ended up going with a 3570K for the HD4000 and an intel DH77EB.  I couldn’t wait on the next round of chips to hit retail.  Parts should be coming in this week and Im hoping to assemble this weekend.  I took advantage of the ceton deal at amazon over the weekend and grabbed an infiniTV4.

Thanks everyone for the tips.  It should be interesting getting used to windows media center, as I’ve been using sageTV for so long now heh.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.