HTPC Tip Of The Day: User Experience With AMD`s new 780g chipset

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground HTPC Tip Of The Day: User Experience With AMD`s new 780g chipset

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

Let me add: 
    The Northbridge doesn’t seem to run as hot for me as I’ve seen eluded to by others.  (Some were even talking about adding a fan in the vicinity).  The warmest I saw it, after playing multiple HD-DVD and Blu-ray discs, was high-60’s to low 70’s (that was with the top OFF the case – once I put the top back on, both my system and CPU temps dropped significantly as my “fan airflow” really works when the case is buttoned up…)  Generally I would say the GPU temp was in the 40’s and 50’s.  With the top on and [i]pushing the GPU[/i], I figure it’ll run in the 50’s and 60’s.

The placement of the Northbridge and it’s heatsink will have a PCIe x1 card running over the top of the heatsink – possibly blocking some airflow.  Since I use a PCIe x1 analog tuner, and no discrete video card, I elected to install it in the x16 slot which leaves the NB heatsink completely exposed.  I don’t know how much it actually helps – but it can’t hurt…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.