HTPC/Server Build

Home Forums Home Theater Computers HTPC/Server Build

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Well every htpc/server I have attempted to build in the past has turned out to be a total failure.  I am hoping posting my progress here will help me get motivated to finish this one and also to get help when I need it.  I will post all the Parts I currently own and hopefully I can put all of this together into a server, htpc, and extender combo that works.  Any help in the future will be appreciated. ;D ;D ;D

shadowhc

just bought sagetv 7 and hd300.  Old hd200 going into the living room for now since htpc there is broken.  Now to set it up before i go on vacation on the 20th.

skirge01

[quote=shadowhc]

just bought sagetv 7 and hd300.  Old hd200 going into the living room for now since htpc there is broken.  Now to set it up before i go on vacation on the 20th.

[/quote]

You’re making changes to a stable system right before leaving on vacation?  What’s the matter with you people?!?!  It seems I read about this type of situation all the time.  🙂  Umm.. good luck!

shadowhc

Its not exactly stable .. my hdpvrs freeze daily.. so i wont be around to restart them.  I figure I could use the new version of sagealert to do that.

skirge01

[quote=shadowhc]

Its not exactly stable .. my hdpvrs freeze daily.. so i wont be around to restart them.  I figure I could use the new version of sagealert to do that.

[/quote]

Wow… still?  I forget… who’s your provider?  No sharing of a USB channel?  Cable lengths are within spec?  Locked to 720p or 1080i?  Not using the IR blaster/receiver?  Latest drivers?  Analog or digital audio?  Does it happen with analog?

shadowhc

Hmm not the latest drivers, analog only, fios with q7100 boxes.  cables are all teh ones that came with the boxes.   

shadowhc

thinking of trying http://www.amazon.com/Syba-Pci-Addon-USB2-32BIT/dp/B000UV5XOW/ref=sr_1_8?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292272302&sr=1-8

its a syba nec card.  Still freezing.. all have the same resolution, cables are standard size, no 5.1 sound.  I am goin to buy a timer to reset everyting at 4 am since i will be away on vacation.  I ll see if i can find a time to reset twice a day just in case have to look for optimal times.

shadowhc

So looks like I am running out of space 32tb and counting.  Is there a limit to the amount of hdds whs takes?  I have 20 hdds so far.  I was thinking of getting a norco 4224 and putting the entire thing in there since right now i am using a 4 bay enclosure.  I don’t want to keep using enclosures.  I was hoping to start deleting shows this vacation but iam traveling so I wont have time.  I was thinking of creating an other media server just for the dvds since those are static and wont change much I could use flex raid on another machine but thats just one more machine that is up and running.

skirge01

I read a MaxPC article recently that mentioned a 10 drive limit, which I know is false, since I have 13 myself.  You’ve definitely surpassed even that.  So, somehow, I get the feeling there may not be a limit.  Then again, it could be HOW we’ve been adding them (not via direct SATA cables to the mobo).  Have you considered the Lian-Li case I have?  With the 5-in-3’s, you could get a max of 30 drives using the front 5.25″ bays, plus it has the capability for internal drive cage(s?), and supports 2 PSU’s.

That said, man…  do some cleaning instead!  It’s a lot cheaper!

shadowhc

Going to convert an old case into an external enclosure using two or three addonics.  Should be able to fit anywhere from 8 to 15 hdds into one.  

shadowhc

haha, yeah i do need to start deleting stuff.  I’ll see what i can do.. just found out 5 of my f4 2tb need firmware updates and they need advance drive cluster fix.  So much work.. and i have update to sagetv7 and setup plugins.  Never ending..  By the way after beta update i love my hd300.  Kicks ass.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.