HTPC Multiple Display Issue

Home Forums Beginner General Questions HTPC Multiple Display Issue

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

To begin, this is what I have set up:

-Sapphire 6950 1Gb
    -DVI to HDMI connected to 1920×1080 PC monitor (Primary)
    -HDMI connected to AV receiver, AV receiver connected to 1920×1080 HDTV via HDMI (Secondary)
    -Latest Catalyst Drivers as of today’s post
    -The AV receiver is being utilized for my PC audio

The issue is involves what happens to my primary display any time I turn the TV off, but leave the receiver on (for audio). When I turn the TV off, my main display shows nothing but a blank display (no taskbar, icons, just my background). I’ve tried multiple fixes such as disabling the 2nd monitor, duplicating displays instead of extending, driver roll backs and updates, changing inputs on the receiver, all yielding the same result.

As much as I’d like to blame the receiver, there still has to be a software/driver conflict as there is no reason the primary display should be affected by the TV being turned off. Strangely enough, turning off the receiver does not cause this same behavior, as my primary display works just fine when it is off (but no sound obviously).

The only “fix” I’m reluctant to try is using DVI to HDMI for the receiver, as I would need to purchase a sound card and utilize a toslink cable for the audio.

Any ideas?

Aaron Ledger

Can you not pass your A/V through the AVR to your display? It would likely resolve this issue for you. Or is there a specific reason for your config?

oliverredfox

If I’m understanding right you have it:
        Video Out 1:  DVI>HDMI Adapter>PC Monitor
        Video Out 2: HDMI > AVR > HDTV
        Have you tried doing:
        Video Out 1: DVI>HDMI Adapter>AVR>PC Monitor
        Video Out 2: HDMI > HDTV
        (I guess you could swap video 1 and 2 if that made any difference)

You could always use a hardware device like the HDMI Detective to make the system always think the TV is there and active but does seem like their should be an easy software/setting fix.

umdivx

[quote=oliverredfox]
          You could always use a hardware device like the HDMI Detective to make the system always think the TV is there and active but does seem like their should be an easy software/setting fix.

[/quote]

Just as above, sounds like an EDID issue. I’ve always had EDID issues when trying to do HDMI switching via a receiver, solved ALL of my issues with the HDMI Detective

http://www.amazon.com/Gefen-EXT-HDMI-EDIDP-HDmi-Detective-Plus/dp/B001RIMZUW

-Josh

RehabMan

Just thought I’d add to the HDMI-Detective party here.  I finally got tired of fighting incorrect resolution/black screen/glitching audio when turning my TV on/off while the HTPC is on (when listening to music, I generally turn the plasma off, both to save power and to save the TV)… broke down and ordered an HDMI-Detective-Plus from Amazon.  The thing works great.

Next step will be to reprogram the Harmony remote to not shut down WMC when turning off (and no GreenButton at startup) and just leave WMC running at all times (and have it start with Windows), as I think the HDMI Detective will take care of the wake from sleep issues with WMC as well…

I hated to spend the extra $90 on something which you would think would “just work” but there you go…  sometimes things don’t work like they are supposed to.

oliverredfox

[quote=RehabMan]

I hated to spend the extra $90 on something which you would think would “just work” but there you go…  sometimes things don’t work like they are supposed to.

[/quote]

We should have a forum thread called “I spent $90 on the HDMI Detective and all I got was working HDMI.”

RehabMan

[quote=oliverredfox]

We should have a forum thread called “I spent $90 on the HDMI Detective and all I got was working HDMI.”

[/quote]

Or sell T-shirts that say the same.

Aaron Ledger

How about “HDMI Detective or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love HDMI”

Gormacil

The HDMI detective did the trick!  I tried every other thing mentioned to fix the issue, and no change.  Seems that us HTPC users will have to get used to forking over another 90 bucks just to get HDMI to work correctly.

Ah well, thanks again!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.