HTPC – High idle temps

Home Forums Home Theater Computers HTPC – High idle temps

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I’m having problems with high idle temps in my htpc and am looking for advice.
    My pc idles at 53C, which is frustrating because I recently updated my cpu cooler to a Zalman 9500 and expected idle temps in the high 30s or mid 40s. Under full load for 10 minutes using Intel’s thermal analysis tool, my temps are 63C.

My specs are as follows:

1 80Gb SATA – OS
    1 250Gb SATA – Movies
    1 400Gb SATA – TV
    1 300Gb PATA – Documents
    7600gs passively cooled video card
    1 Hauppauge PVR150MCE
    1 Aver m780 PCIe
    1 Firewire card
    1 Vbox USB 2.0 HD Tuner (external)

CPU: C2D 6300 (stock voltages)
    Case: Silverstone LC01 with a case fan in back (right behind the 9500)
    PSU: Seasonic 350w
    Mboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3

I added a 120mm undervolted fan pulling air into the psu side of the case this weekend and turned up the fan on the 9500 all the way saw no significant drop in temps. I’ve reseated the HSF on the cpu twice, both times using arctic silver 5 and saw no improvement. I’m about to order a pci slot cooler thinking my video card is running hot, but those have a reputation of being loud and my whole point of a passively cooled video card is to have a quiet pc.

Anyone have a suggestion to help me get cpu temps down? I thought I would be able to mildly overclock my processor with silence but now I’m struggling with loud fans and high temps at stock voltages. Any advice is appreciated.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.