HTPC Case Help

Home Forums Beginner General Questions HTPC Case Help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I’m having a really hard time trying to pick out a htpc case. Maybe someone can help me out. This will be my first htpc build. I would like to get a case that holds a ATX board and has room to fit the largest size discrete graphics cards. It needs to have good air flow through it, so the bigger the fans the better. I am planning on getting windows 7 ultimate for the OS. It seems like all the cases I have seen were designed for windows vista for the lcd/vfd display. I have read a lot of reviews of vfd’s not working correctly. I don’t want to buy a case and find out the display isn’t compatible with windows 7. I’m not even sure how the vfd displays work and which one’s are better than others. Is there any programming involved to get them to work with the software you want?

Could someone tell me the differences in displays and which one they recommend for windows 7. Can the displays be removed from the case and replaced with other displays that do work with windows 7? I would like the display to show the time and name of the music or movie I am playing. If it does more than that great, but that’s all I really want. 

I would like to find a case for around 200 dollars. After hours of researching cases and reviews on them the case that seems to most likely meet the requirements is the zalman hd160. Does anyone have this case and use windows 7? Any issues with the vfd display?

Also, with sandy bridge out and usb 3.0 starting to become the standard does anyone know of any new cases coming out? I’m still researching which parts I want to buy for the build, so it could be a month or two before I buy everything. 

Thanks,

Chris

babgvant

I would expect VFDs that work with Vista to also work with W7, do you have a specific e.g.?  I’ve used a lot of displays including the NMEDIA, LCD2USB, HD44780 and the one in the Moneual 320 and they all work in W7.

The HD160 is a nice case, but kind of difficult to work with (you have to take it apart to do anything).  I think the VFD works w/ W7, but I haven’t tested it personally.

Have you checked out Antec Fusion line?  I think the VERIS is full ATX and has good cooling options.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.