How to wake up a PC

Home Forums Home Theater Computers How to wake up a PC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

So… I’ve got my miniPC running Win7 Pro, and it went to sleep, and I can’t figure out how to wake it up…  I’ve got a windows MC remote and logitech wireless keyboard, and pressing anything on them doesn’t do anything.  I can’t see it on my network from my laptop (they are both connected to the router by cat5e).  Short of powering it off, I’m stumped…

I hope this isn’t a stupid question….

Mike

Ok – pressing one of the media keys woke it up. But a new problem: the LAN connection is disconnected when it wakesup and won’t reconnect. I can’t even open it’s properties w/o a reboot.

Thoughts?

2 areas to look at.

1. Go through the BIOS and verify the sleep settings (my apologies if this is a bit vague but BIOS settings vary from PC to PC)

2. As for the NIC, go to the Device Manager and check the Power Managment under the network cards properties.  There should be a setting “Allow this device to wake the computer”.  I usually enable (checked) this setting.

I think there is a guide that Babgvant put together about computer sleep settings.

Andrew Van Til
    Keymaster

[quote=”xjboonie”]
      Ok – pressing one of the media keys woke it up. But a new problem: the LAN connection is disconnected when it wakesup and won’t reconnect. I can’t even open it’s properties w/o a reboot.

Thoughts?
      [/quote]

If the NIC doesn’t resume properly it’s a driver issue – make sure you’re running the latest.

Is it an integrated NIC?  If not, some motherboards have an option in BIOS to reinitialize PCI devices when on resume, if the driver update does work that’s an option too.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.