High CPU Usage with Bluray

Home Forums Home Theater Computers High CPU Usage with Bluray

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I was trying some blurays on a PC that I am going to use with my projector outdoors, and I decided to check the cpu usage.  I felt what I was seeing was pretty high.  The cpu is an E2180, and the video card is a 4550.  While playing Back to the Future, the usage was around 60 ~ 66%.  This was with TMT3 and TMT5.  I tried PDVD 10 and got around the same results, but I did see it hit 100% one time.  Later I tried Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and the average seemed to be around 35%.  So, not as high as BttF, but still high from what I’m used to seeing.  Not sure what version the drivers were at first, but I updated to 11.6, and it was the same.

I looked up a review of the 4550, and I found a test where a bluray was played and the usage on that system was around 11~18%.  Something seems to be going on, but not sure what.  BTW, this is on Windows 7 32-bit.  Any thoughts?

babgvant

There’s a setting in TMT/PDVD to enable hardware acceleration.  Maybe it got unchecked?

htpc_user

[quote=babgvant]

There’s a setting in TMT/PDVD to enable hardware acceleration.  Maybe it got unchecked?

[/quote]

No, I made sure it was enabled in the players first thing.

phoneguyinpgh

If you are using TMT you have to not only have hardware acceleration checked in the stand alone player from the desktop, but also in the one launched from inside WMC if you are using TMT from inside WMC.  They use separate executable files that don’t share settings.  Right click while playing a video and go to the settings menu.  This bit me when I was first trying to get it running, everything was fine in the stand alone player but was choppy with 100% CPU usage when TMT was launched from inside WMC.

babgvant

Any codec packs (or ffdshow) installed?  If you’re comfortable using graphstudio we can try to track it down.

htpc_user

No, I’m just using TMT or PDVD outside of Media Center.  The only time I’m going to use this PC is outside to watch movies on the projector so it doesn’t have a lot on it.  I don’t have any codec packs installed.  I am using Virtual Clone Drive to mount the ISO’s.  But I’ve never had high cpu usage because of using a virtual drive before so I don’t think that has anything to do with it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.