Help to setup media center for entire house

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Help to setup media center for entire house

• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by vinvinvinster.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I am trying to set up htpcs for all the TVs in my house. Currently I have just one with a Ceton Infinitv 4 tuner with a FIOS CableCard. I want to set it up so that both TVs in my house would have an htpc and be able to watch live tv and recorded TV streamed off of one central server-like computer. I would like to have the server hold the tuner and record the TV shows. I want to be able to have thin-client pcs at the TVs that wouldn’t actually store anything but could schedule the server to record shows. My question is if this is possible using a CableCard. I am currently using Windows 7 but I would be happy to switch to Mythbuntu or anything else really as long as it can do what I want. Does anyone have a setup like this or know how to create one? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

(I have access to Windows Server 08 r2 and Windows Home Server as well if that would help)

Mike Garcen

So let’s start at the basic one:

1. If you want CableCARD, you have to choose Windows 7 (you CAN use SageTV however, but Win7 is a must. No linux)
      2. Depending on where you live and the type of copy protection from Verizon, the problem with your Central server to other Client HTPC’s idea is Copy Protection. If a lot of what you watch is copy protected, you then won’t be able to watch it ANYWHERE except the server! Which is a problem if that’s not connected to a tv 😉
      3. Can you elaborate on why you want Thin-client PCs? Is there something in particular you need them–like browsing?
      4. The reason for #3, is because based on your needs, a Windows Media Center Extender may be your best (and most affordable) bet. You could plop some XBox 360’s in each room, and then not only will you be able to share the Guide and recordings anywhere, but it’s a lot less maintenance since you only have to manage the Win7 server itself.

#3 is the biggest question back to you which will establish everything else

vinvinvinster

All I need the clients to do is watch tv and access Netflix. Can a Media Center Extender access Netflix and does the UI look like Media Center on my pc now? I think that an Extender seems the best way to go. One more question, would there be any way to use WHS instead of Win7 on the main box? (It’s not that big of a deal but I would like a full server OS to mess around with)

cwag17

Once Ceton releases their Tuner Sharing you will have the ability to have the Ceton Card reside in a windows 7 pc or WHS 2011 server and share out each tuner to another windows 7 PC to watch live TV. There is an ongoing thread here that talks about it and it is still in Beta.

swoon

Based on your requirements, you will probably want to use a Windows 7 machine as the server and Xbox 360s as extenders. This will allow you to have a shared guide, keep all storage on the server and utilize the InfiniTV with the least amount of hassle.

While it is true that you could house the InfiniTV in WHS2011 or Server 2008 R2, you will then using network bridging to share the tuners to other Win 7 client PCs. You will not have a shared guide/storage in this scenario and if recording CopyOnce, you will not be able to play the content on other clients beyond that which recorded it. There are many reasons why these limitations may not hinder some applications, but for your needs, the extender scenario described above seems like exactly what you are looking for.

One downside to using the extenders is you will need to pony up $50 (or is it $60 now…) to MS for Gold membership and use the dashboard for the UI which is highly unfortunate.

Mike Garcen

Is why you’ll need the Gold Membership. There is no Netflix integration in MCE on an Extender session, but it IS on the XBox360 dashboard and the UI is very friendly. But…it is outside the MCX. And you do need Gold membership.

vinvinvinster

Is there any other option that is just a standalone Extender not an XBOX? Because I don’t need an xbox and don’t want to pay for membership.

swoon

While there are other extender devices, Netflix isn’t supported in the extender session unfortunately.

Sadly Cry, to do exactly what you want to do will require some compromises.

Mike Garcen

the problem is truly the HD cable and if it’s copy protected. If what you watch IS PROTECTED, then the solution is going to be ugly no matter what you decide.

I’d recommend testing it out. Record some shows on your system (your favorites) and then go to another system on your network and see if you can play it (you can also see the copy protection status on the “Info” screen on Recorded TV at the bottom). If it’s copy free, then you can go ahead with your thin client idea.

If it’s not, then it’s murky. The XBox360 is the only solution which will do both. If you’re OK with separate devices, you could do something like a Roku for Netflix, and then stick to an MCX extender for TV and everything else (could probably get good deals on D-Link or Linksys used on ebay). Then the issue is having to toggle between two devices.

swoon

From what I understand FiOS is mainly Copy Freely CURRENTLY. If you subscribe to HBO or other premiums, they are more likely to be Copy Once.

Even if going forward with the thin-client PCs if everything is Copy Freely, you will still have issues with shared guide and where to store the recordings.

osburnfamily

There are other extender-only devices out there that are NOT the XBOX.  The linksys DMA2100/2200’s are perfect for that.  However, tmk, ALL non-xbox “extenders” are discontinued.  Only MS is actively making extender devices.

That being said, the DMAs are still perfect devices, even if they’re not longer maintained.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000XQONSG/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1303779646&sr=8-1&condition=used

Word of caution, streaming HD content to the DMAs is NOT GOOD.  You will want to hardwire them.

Also– regarding netflix on non-XBOX extenders, it’s possible.  PlayOn offers netflix streaming from your mediacenter to any DNLA device.  http://www.playon.tv/ Then, with a plugin for mediacenter (PlayIT), you can access Netflix within mediacenter, on your extender.  It isn’t as pretty as the native xbox interface, but it’s almost free after the initial playon purchase.

vinvinvinster

I am able to watch recorded shows on other pcs in the house. My main problem is getting live tv to each tv. I guess I could setup tuner sharing but it seems messy to have two different schedules with tv being recorded to the server. It sounds like extenders are the right way to go, but I don’t really want to buy two xboxes. I will look into those other extenders. Thank you

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.