HD Signal Compression Gives Antennas The Edge Over Cable And Satellite

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground HD Signal Compression Gives Antennas The Edge Over Cable And Satellite

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    LowTech
    Participant

Original Article Link

>:( I just wonder how far lackadaisical regulation and absent standards will result in 480p being considered the hi-def standard in the USA?  What’s troubling about this article is that most folks buy into the whole idea that they’re getting true HD simply because Jessica Simpson tells them that they are.  It irks me that there is no truth in advertising here since there is no regulatory standard which would require honest disclosure. 

I know that there has recently been some legal wrangling regarding DTV’s idea of HD vs. the consumer.  I find it amusing that some circuit court judge gets to rule on an issue of which he/she, more than likely, has no subject matter expertise.  Where the heck are our regulators?  If the FCC won’t set standards maybe congress should get involved.  My gosh, if these people have taken the time in the past to discuss; steroids in baseball (Why?  They’re %#@$&* illegal aren’t they?), gay marriage (Barney Frank anyone?  WTF, it’s a states rights issue!) or going on fact finding missions to Maui, then these fine representatives of ours to our national legislature can surely find a little time to define HD so that the consumers of the good ole’ US of A aren’t getting jilted by corporate America.  These fine folks still represent the citizens, don’t they?

I’m glad that at least some folks are raising the issue.  What would be nice is if someone with a full understanding of the issue could create an intelligent and concise draft which visitors to this site (and HTPCnews, etc. as well) could use to send to his or her elected representatives in congress explaining how the populous is clamoring for true HD broadcast standards and clear definition of services rendered by the content providers.  I figure that the new congress’ 100 hour agenda should be completed pretty soon so ancillary issues like this one might warrant some attention from our lawmakers.

If I had all of the requisites I’d certainly try to craft something but I ain’t got what it takes.  Nonetheless, I am interested in making my opinion heard in the halls of congress or on the beautiful sands of Palauea Beach.  After all, if we’re not careful, cable/satellite broadcasts in this country won’t even be able to meet the standards found among some obscure Polynesian pygmy tribe in the middle of nowhere. 

Rant over, have a nice day.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.