Google buying Motorola (What does it mean for set top boxes?)

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Google buying Motorola (What does it mean for set top boxes?)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    oliverredfox
    Participant

Google buying Motorola is all over the news and most people are talking about it from the phone point of the view.  But Motorola is also a big maker of set top boxes.  SageTV, now a major cable box hardware maker; makes you wonder what the future of GoogleTV will be…  http://adage.com/article/digitalnext/motorola-set-top-boxes-google-s-tv-gatekeepers/229289/

swoon

Moto sells STB to cable companies. I am fairly doubtful that cable is particularly interested in purchasing STBs that integrate services that turn them into wholesale bit providers. If this is what Google tries to do with Moto, I’m sure Cisco/SA will be more than willing to provide the STBs to MSOs.

santanan

Google purchased Moto Mobility, which was at one point a division of Moto.  Moto and Moto Mobility seperated in Jan. 2010.

The purchase will not affect the STB  market as Moto Mobility doesn’t produce them.

But on the plus side for mobile phones, this is a great thing, as i’m sure they will integrate SageTV with android.  Just imagine the possibilities: watching TV and play MKS movies on ur mobile phone, and a much needed better experience with Google TV since this can possibly integrate a networked Ceton card.

oliverredfox

[quote=santanan]

Google purchased Moto Mobility, which was at one point a division of Moto.  Moto and Moto Mobility seperated in Jan. 2010.

The purchase will not affect the STB  market as Moto Mobility doesn’t produce them.

[/quote]

Actually, the set top division seems to be a part of Motorola Mobility but there is a lot of speculation that they’ll just sell it off.  http://www.slate.com/id/2301856/pagenum/all/

Techbutton

Or here comes Android to TV boxes everywhere!!!!! Happy days are coming….Maybe

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.