Favorite Android Apps

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Favorite Android Apps

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    oliverredfox
    Participant

I tried doing a search for android apps (came up a bunch of threads that mention a few different apps in the discussions, if there is already a thread on this subject, please point me there and I’ll kill this one) but didn’t see one dedicated to just android apps.  I picked up a new toy the other day for reading ebooks http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6940002 and thought it might be fun to toss some software on it to mix into my Media Center setup(Win 7 MCE).

I love running Google Sky map on my phone, but I haven’t messed with any HTPC stuff on it.

So what is your favorite HTPC related (or even non-HTPC) apps?

skirge01

HTPC related?  SageTV Mobile Web… although, it’s not an app, but a mobile version of the SageTV Web UI.  It’s always cool being able to fix conflicts, schedule or cancel recordings or just check that everything is working okay.

Non-HTPC?  I love the barcode scanners and, especially, using the for QR codes.  Outside of that, I’m using Handcent SMS (IM client), K-9 Mail, Plume (Twitter), and My-Cast Weather.

I tried the Google Sky Maps and, while it was really cool, I quickly lost interest in it.

PAPutzback

Nothing HTPC related these days. I’ve tinkered in the past with a Utorrent app to start my downloads and also gmote and remote potato but I rarely have the need to schedule a new recording. 

Otherwise I play wordsmith, wordfeud or Words with Friend (Can’t stand that one but it is cross platform). 

GPS Test Plus is my speedometer for the boat.

My Cast Weather is my forecast application for Beautiful Widgets.

JeFit Pro for handling workouts.

Google Music Beta to access all the music I have on my homeserver.

Netflix. 

I am also usually installing a new ROM every couple weeks. Everyday lately since all the developers are working on the 3.0 sense. My Current ROM is Kings Alliance r6.3. 

Another handy app is the WiFi Analyzer. I’ve helped many people improve drop outs and poor performance with that app to determine the best channel to run their wireless on.

autoboy

I like the Amazon App Store.  There  is a new free App every day. 

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

breissim

Remote Potato is a good one I use on my Droid 2.  Streams pretty much everything from Win 7 MC.

oliverredfox

Looking at Remote Potato.  It seems pretty cool, have to mess around with that this weekend when I’ve got free time.

umdivx
                  oliverredfox

This is the one I found after looking for a remote potato client for android.  https://market.android.com/details?id=tv.dyndns.piet5211.rempotatoclient

PAPutzback

[quote=autoboy]

I like the Amazon App Store.  There  is a new free App every day. 

http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie=UTF8&node=2350149011

[/quote]

I went to download the app of the day and it directed me to amazon to add credit card info, so I bailed. What is the scam with asking for credit card info? 

oliverredfox

[quote=PAPutzback]

I went to download the app of the day and it directed me to amazon to add credit card info, so I bailed. What is the scam with asking for credit card info? 

[/quote]

The Amazon App store annoys the hell out of me.  It requires 1-click turned on and doesn’t re-ask for a password before allowing an app purchase.  The last thing I want is a wide open app linked to a credit card.  I ended up setting up a 2nd Amazon account just for the app a day and linking it to a pre-paid card from a mail-in-rebate.  I’ll add the credit card to the account settings, get my free app, then remove the credit card info from the account.  You can redownload apps you’ve “previously purchased” (silly that you need a valid credit card linked for a free app) without having a credit card on file.  It’s a lot of hoops to jump through for a $.99 app (sometimes more expensive) so I most days I don’t even bother.

frgking12

I use PlayOn, Remote Media Center (Remote Potato), and HBO Go on my Samsung Epic 4G.  I’m still waiting for a Honeycomb version of HBO Go, but PlayOn and Remote Media Center work awesome on my Asus EeePad Transformer.  Also, I’m waiting for Netflix & Hulu to be released for both of my devices.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.