Engadget Reviews GoogleTV

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Engadget Reviews GoogleTV

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

Good Review of Google TV.  I watched the Engadget show the other day and they were demonstrating the video conferencing part of it and for a cheap option for small businesses its a great option.  However for the price point for the average consumer its a bit steep.  Being built into TV’s I think is a better incentive to purchase a slightly higher priced TV.  As cool as the 3D tv’s are I think I would purchase a google TV over a 3D tv.  However having a HTPC really no reason for a google TV.  It would be cool if they make the google TV software available for PC’s;  maybe an add on to Sage TV or WMC7.

for my money, its just too awkward interacting with STBs/DVRs, through no fault of google. they have to play with the system they are given. now if comcast/TW/cablevision/dish/dtv/etc would start licensing googletv to run on their STBs that would be something compelling.

I’d either buy into it if it were in my TV or if it came with a cablecard.

Mike Garcen
    Participant

is it bad that as an htpc snob i feel kinda laughing when i see Hulu blocked on this? Like how did Google NOT know that was going to happen?

I had much higher hopes for GoogleTV than this.  I’ve really bought into the idea of the Apps store built on a standard OS for set top boxes.  But, their reliance on the browser, mouse, and keyboard are really disappointing.  This whole GoogleTV experience isn’t anything new to HTPC users.

I don’t want to use a browser on my TV.  That’s why I got rid of the HTPC.  It isn’t practical for the rest of the family to be navigating around websites in order to watch 90210 on demand.

Mike Garcen
      Participant

i was really surprised when i saw the keyboard controller. IMO that was always such a main drawback to the HTPC in the living room and what scared most non-geeks. I understand the necessity, but i figure something like the Boxee remote will be *MUCH* better accepted by non-PC folks.

purely speculation of course. The thing could sell a million units in a month for all i know.

Andrew Van Til
        Keymaster

IMO the problem with the keyboard isn’t that you need it sometimes, but that you need it and a remote to get all your HTPC stuff done (like changing audio tracks in PDVD).

Having a remote with a keyboard isn’t quite the same thing; now if only it were universal 🙂

LowTech
          Participant

I’ll just stick with my HTPC for now, thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.