Copy Windows Media Center Channel Settings

Home Forums Windows Media Center Copy Windows Media Center Channel Settings

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have 7 HTPCs in my house which all share an HD Home Dual Tuner and all deposit all recordings to my Windows Home Server so those recordings can be watched from any of the 7 viewing locations.

Configuring the Windows Media Center (Windows 7) channel guide correctly is a somehwat laborious process. 

I would like to know if there is a way to copy that configuration from one HTPC to the other 6, so that I don’t have to start from scratch at each HTPC.

Thanks!

NitDawg

I use GuideTool. Spend the $5 to get all the goods. Much easier interface to edit your lineup, assign the proper guide data, if necessary. I set it up once on my HTPC and use it to back it up in case something wonky happens. Install it on all your HTPC and you can edit all remotely with the same channel lineup.

byronomo

Thanks.  I took a look at Guide Tool and it appears to do some pretty neat things, so I will download it.  However it still doesn’t do exactly what I am looking for.  The $5 is not an issue.  I would pay multiples of that if there were a tool that actually allows you to move the settings easily from one HTPC to another.

swoon

Have you looked into mcBackup?

oliverredfox

You should also be able to manually copy the channel XML files over to the other machines.

byronomo

[quote=oliverredfox]

You should also be able to manually copy the channel XML files over to the other machines.

[/quote]

You are exactly right!  Even better, I am able to store them on the server and pull them in to the other machines.  So, to reverse my previous statement, this actually does do what I was hoping!

Thanks for pointing me in that direction.   I’ve already donated $10 for this app.  I’m gonna give ’em another $10 (or more) since it seems to work so well.

NitDawg

I hate doing manual edits on just my one HTPC, I can’t imagine doing that on multiple rigs. Nice work, glad you found a solution!

mikedenney

Hey guys, I have two HTPCs running Win7 Home Premium, but one is 32-bit, the other, 64-bit.  I had a ‘bad experience’ last year copying the xml files from one to the other…a severe lockup that forced me to recover the 64-bit one, so…what do you suggest on this?

I bought the Guide Tool, which looked good for $5, but it just didn’t do this for me…remapping is exhaustive where I live, taking over 4 hours…

I did find a WMC ‘plugin’ called ‘potato server’, but never installed it, because it looked like it simply did not work.

Thanks to anyone with any recent info on this…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.