Computer Chair

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Computer Chair

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    mikinho
    Participant

I guess I’m getting old my but my cheapo computer chair isn’t cutting it anymore.

I’ve used Herman Miller Aeron Chairs in the past and thought they were ridiculously comfortable (and expensive…).  Are there any other brands, models, etc I should be looking at?

I’m working in front of a computer at least 8 hours a day, on average closed to 14.

skirge01

I like comfortable computer chairs, too, but I don’t think that a $1k chair can possibly be 10x more comfortable than a $100 chair.  I’ve had very, very good luck by simply going to Office Depot, Office Max, or Staples and sitting in a few.  My last chair was under $150 and it’s still very comfortable.  Sorry, I can’t find the exact one, but I think that method is your best bet.

swoon

You may also find some decent value in chairs at Warehouse clubs like Costco/Sam’s. 

I’ve actually received some amazing office chairs over the years from all the downsizing businesses I’ve been a part of. Believe me, I would rather have gotten rich off my stock options than this benefit!

st3lvio

I found my HM Aeron on craig’s list a few years ago & they are well worth the money. I was able to choose & sit in 8 identical ones that were in great shape. Think I paid $450 for my used one – but well worth it if you value your spine.

Give craig’s list a try before you pay the same price for a crappy one.

mikinho

I hadn’t thought of that.  There are a couple available on my local craigslist.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I don’t like the idea of spending a lot but I’ve sat in an Aeron and sadly for the amount I sit in a chair I’m willing to spend a little extra right now.

einstein

I bookmarked an Ask Slashdot discussion on this topic a couple years ago.  

At work we have Steelcase Leap chairs.  They are very nice, but not much cheaper than the Aerons.

mikinho

[quote=einstein]

I bookmarked an Ask Slashdot discussion on this topic a couple years ago.  

At work we have Steelcase Leap chairs.  They are very nice, but not much cheaper than the Aerons.

[/quote]

Thanks!  That is very useful!  I’m still on the fence but good to see so many people who agree that there is a considerable improvement in fatigue and reduction in back-strain with the higher quality chairs.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.