Caveman question.

Home Forums Home Theater Construction Help Caveman question.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

This title serves dual purpose. I’m asking for a friend who isn’t all that capable of running wires, nor is he ambitious enough to really want HD right now. The second, this guy lives in an old stone house with plaster walls. That alone should give you a good idea of what I’m about to ask, so here it is.

My friend..err…thesis committee chair, has an old house where coax is run into his basement. He has one line run up to his living room, and an airport in his basement for internet. He asked me if there is a device that would allow him to wirelessly transmit video feeds from his cable line as he is able to do by watching shows on the internet.

Most of you, as was I was thinking simple…put a server in the basement with a couple tuners. Only, this isn’t as simple for him as he’d like. Of course(and I tried explaining this to him), that current wireless technology is at best, barely capable of handling uncompressed HD streams. He isn’t interested in HD right now. So the question is– does a stand alone device exist to accept SD cable input and transmit it wirelessly(using router is ok too) throughout his house so that he can tune in?

My suggestion to him was to call comcast and tell them that he is going to switch to satellite unless they do a better job running wire in his house. Not sure if that will work, but I’d try if I were in his position.

Any help here?

Thanks,

Bryan

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.