Caprica gets Frakked by Syfy

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Caprica gets Frakked by Syfy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

I watched the first half of the season and it was ok. But the acting\script was so bad I didn’t expect it to come back, when it did, I downloaded the first few episodes via torrents. About a week ago I decided it wasn’t worth the time and deleted them.

Mike Garcen
    Participant

i didn’t even give it a chance. After being unable to get into Warehouse 13, i kinda figured i wouldn’t get into Caprica. good thing i guess

I loved BSG and was digging Caprica.  I think Syfy killed it w/ the extra commercial breaks and by splitting up the season.  Also the fact that those guys would fund a movie like Sharktapuss tells me that they don’t have a clue as to what good Sci-fi is.

[quote=”phoneguyinpgh”]
      I loved BSG and was digging Caprica.  I think Syfy killed it w/ the extra commercial breaks and by splitting up the season.  Also the fact that those guys would fund a movie like Sharktapuss tells me that they don’t have a clue as to what good Sci-fi is.
      [/quote]

The feeling I was getting from people online was that the story was moving slowly to tell an intelligent story.  In other words, it wasn’t reality TV you could watch while leaving your brain on snooze.

Mike Garcen
      Participant

[quote=”Skirge01″]
        [quote=”phoneguyinpgh”]
        [/quote]

The feeling I was getting from people online was that the story was moving slowly to tell an intelligent story.  In other words, it wasn’t reality TV you could watch while leaving your brain on snooze.
        [/quote]

You know, that reminds me of this very intelligent and well thought out…….[b]SQUIRREL!!!!!!![/b]  ;D

The story was moving very slow. I was enjoying it, but goodness gracious, speed it up a little.

[quote=”usacomp2k3″]
        The story was moving very slow. I was enjoying it, but goodness gracious, speed it up a little.
        [/quote]
        I don’t mind slow moving stories but after BSG Caprica was kind of a let down. I watched the first two episodes and just couldn’t get into it at all even though I wanted too.

captain_video
        Participant

I think too many people were expecting Caprica to be some sort of prequel to BSG, even though it was widely advertised as being anything but a prequel.  The storyline was interesting but I have to agree that they were taking their sweet time developing the plot.  I thought it had a lot of potential but audiences these days are too impatient to let any complex story develop.  If you don’t grab their attention right away you’ll lose them.  I was disappointed by the news, but wasn’t all that surprised.  I’ve already deleted the latest episode I had recorded and canceled the series.  I hate investing time in a show that’s already doomed.

Anonymous

[quote=”captain_video”]
            I think too many people were expecting Caprica to be some sort of prequel to BSG, even though it was widely advertised as being anything but a prequel.  The storyline was interesting but I have to agree that they were taking their sweet time developing the plot.  I thought it had a lot of potential but audiences these days are too impatient to let any complex story develop.  If you don’t grab their attention right away you’ll lose them.  I was disappointed by the news, but wasn’t all that surprised.  I’ve already deleted the latest episode I had recorded and canceled the series.  I hate investing time in a show that’s already doomed.
            [/quote]

It is a prequel to BSG.  Just a little further back than some expected.  Personally I love it.

captain_video
            Participant

[quote=”rantanamo”]
              It is a prequel to BSG.  Just a little further back than some expected.  Personally I love it.
              [/quote]
              True.  I think most people were expecting there to be more Cylon activity and less character development.  It started off as sort of a Cylon origin story but then the Cylons fell by the wayside and the storyline dealt more with the characters and the politics of the various cultures rather than the immediate events that led up to the Cylon war with the humans.  I did enjoy the story and like the direction it was heading.  Obviously there weren’t enough viewers that shared that enthusiasm.

Anonymous

As a sociologist, I love the politics and character development.  The show is really well written from an academic standpoint.

[quote=”rantanamo”]
                As a sociologist, I love the politics and character development.  The show is really well written from an academic standpoint.
                [/quote]

LOL!  There’s where they went wrong then.  Americans don’t like intelligent, thought provoking shows.  They want their Jersey Shore*, dammit!

[size=60]
                * God, I hate that they film that in my home state.  As far as I know, none of the people on that show are actually from NJ (most are from NY) and most aren’t even Italian.  Jerseyans are nothing like this group.[/size]

[quote=”Skirge01″]
                LOL!  There’s where they went wrong then.  Americans don’t like intelligent, thought provoking shows.  They want their Jersey Shore*, dammit!
                [/quote]

So sad, yet so true 🙁

Anonymous

I think the same of BSG.  I’m not usually one who really cares if a show is super intelligent.  I especially love funny, even stupidly funny and sci-fi.  I just recognize many aspects of these two shows that are actually academic.  The writing of their society is about the most realistic fictional society I can think of whether it be books, film or television.  The interactions and reactions of the characters to certain events within especially tell me the writers are well read and obviously consulted some experts in creating that society or there are some actual sociologists or anthropologists involved with both series.  The Wire may be the other show that really examines society just as well, but that’s a real place.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.