Blog: I bought a new HDTV…and it`s not 3D

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Blog: I bought a new HDTV…and it`s not 3D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5068&Itemid=231]Original Article Link[/url]
    No VGA input? That would have been a killer for me. Other than that seems like a good choice. Panny’s a good brand. Hope you enjoy!

captain_video
    Participant

Who uses a VGA input these days, unless you have an old laptop you want to connect to it?  Just about every current graphics card has either DVI or HDMI outputs.

Congrats on your purchase of the Panny plasma.  I haven’t auditioned them at any great length but everything I’ve heard puts Panasonic at or near the top of the list for plasma TVs.  I haven’t kept up with plasma technology for quite a while so I’m not sure how well the current models deal with voltage fluctuations.  I seem to recall that this was an issue with early plasmas and that they greatly benefited from the use of a line conditioner to regulate the input voltage.

Andrew Van Til
      Keymaster

[quote=”usacomp2k3″]
        No VGA input?
        [/quote]

Many TVs that have VGA limit it to sub-1080p resolutions (so pretty useless IMO).

[quote=”captain_video”]
        I haven’t kept up with plasma technology for quite a while so I’m not sure how well the current models deal with voltage fluctuations.  I seem to recall that this was an issue with early plasmas and that they greatly benefited from the use of a line conditioner to regulate the input voltage.
        [/quote]

I haven’t heard any of that issue for modern sets, but all my A/V equipment is hooked up to a UPS; planning to get a separate one for the TV soon. 

[quote]
        For true blacks, unless you’re going to go way up in price of LCD’s with local dimming, it’s very difficult to beat a plasma for picture quality[/quote]

That right there is exactly why I bought a 50″ plasma a couple of years ago for our living room in our apartment. It was less expensive than an LCD (larger screen for the price) and better blacks than anything an LCD in the same price range could do.

Mike Garcen
        Participant

i’m also curious why the requirement for VGA usa? my HTPC has HDMI, XBox is HDMI, i didn’t see a need for it.

What does moving have to do with it?  It got shipped to you and it can be shipped somewhere else,

mikinho
          Participant

Growing up I moved almost every year and every couple years to a different country.  It doesn’t matter how well you try to protect your investments, there is extra wear and tear involved with moving.

If I know I’m moving with 3-4 months I hold off on purchases to prevent risking over handling and to reduce the amount of work involved with moving.

Andrew Van Til
            Keymaster

[quote=”Gary J”]
              What does moving have to do with it?  It got shipped to you and it can be shipped somewhere else,
              [/quote]

Thin TVs are hard to move properly.  They have to be upright the whole time and the base isn’t designed to handle the rocking that inevitably occurs when driving, so it’s really easy to damage the set or the base.

Mike Garcen
              Participant

yeah, basically what those two said. I’ve moved enough in my days to know that even with extra precaution, there’s always risk that something happens. Even if it’s still minor scratches or what not, that type of stuff eats me up, ya know?

Save the TV’s box if at all possible. With plasmas especially you need to be very careful moving it since they use glass screens and are supposed to be kept upright.

Mike Garcen
                Participant

yeah, i’ve got some ideas about where I can store it…might have to raise my bed up for it. depends how big it is…eek, maybe i shoulda gotten a 42″ 😛

No.  I consider a 50″ the minimum size for a main viewing room TV.  You can deconstruct the box to fit it under the bed.  It should fit as long as you take it apart.  The foam will be the hard part.

Congrats on the new TV.  You’ll be very happy with the Panny.  I know I am.  With only a little bit of effort you can have it calibrated to meet the THX color spec of the G25.  And, as a plus you can write about your calibration as well!

Mike Garcen
                  Participant

great point autoboy, what did you use to calibrate? I have the DVE Essentials & Spears & Munsil as well…or the free AVS HD 709?

[quote=”shadymg”]
                    i’m also curious why the requirement for VGA usa? my HTPC has HDMI, XBox is HDMI, i didn’t see a need for it.
                    [/quote]
                    Yeah, for laptops. All 3 of our laptops are VGA only. Also hard to find a netbook with digital video output.

[quote=”autoboy”]
                    No.  I consider a 50″ the minimum size for a main viewing room TV. [/quote]

Yep, don’t go any smaller… I love my 50″ for most TV watching, but when we watch a lot of HD movies (especially those in 2.35:1) I start to want a 58″/60″ plasma.

Even 50″ at ~10-12ft like most apartment living rooms your eye can’t resolve all the detail of 1080p (you can barely resolve the full detail of 720p at the size/distance), so you certainly don’t want to go smaller.

Here’s a good chart that’s been around the ‘net that I added different distance markers to.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.