Big E’s Home Theater – Time To Vent

Home Forums Big E’s Home Theater – Time To Vent

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

OK, it is 5 months after ‘the build’ and I am still not at 100%, which is tremendously frustrating seeing as I have spent upwards of $800 and countless hours on this beast.  Here’s the hardware side:

Silverstone LC-10M
    MSI 7600GT 256 HD Vid Card
    Creative XFi Xtreme Music sound card
    AverMedia M780 capture card
    Hauppauge PVR-250 capture card
    ASUS M2N32-SLi Deluxe Wireless Mobo
    Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Socket AM2
    Thermaltake 939 CPU cooler
    Beyond Media and Beyond TV4.6.1

ISSUE #1 – Heat.  No matter where I put this thing, we are looking at constant temps above 55C.  NOT GOOD.  Have already killed one power supply due to the high temps.  I even put some extra fans in there, to no avail.  Anyone else got any unique cooling ideas?

ISSUE #2 – Windows Stop Errors.  I would think this was the temps causing this, but it’s not.  About a month ago, the system was FINALLY running OK, even with the high temps.  But, for whatever reason, started getting BSODs, and arbitrary re-starts are the latest frustration.

ISSUE #3 – Recently, XP won’t connect to the NAS I have set up as a mapped network drive.  XP sees the drive, but I actually have to OPEN the drive in My Computer for it to recognize the contents.  This is a big problem as I have Beyond Media mapped to the NAS for my music (300GB’s worth).

I feel so close to chucking this off a building, but at the same time, I feel so close to success.  The copy of Windows Vista Ultimate is whispering to me, but I am scared to install it in case of any driver glitches with the mobo, vid card, sound card, beyond TV/media, etc.

Reaching out to the community for support!!

:-\ :-\ :-\

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.