Best movie cataloger?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Best movie cataloger?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I know this is a rather subjective question, and please forgive me if this has been thoroughly beaten already…
    Im currently using media browser in my WMC7 (64) and like it. Unfortunately it does not have any “back end”. I tried MyMovies and thought it was the best I had tried so far but its got some issues that I refuse to deal with so I dumped it. Been using Media Center Master and its pretty decent but does not have some of the features that made MyMovies so good.
    Doing a google search revealed TONS of “catalogers” but I dont want to spend the next year trying them. Anyone got any good recommendations? I’d like something that will utilize my already present MyMovies.xml files, have a nice interface like MM, do metadata retrieval (hopefully open to using your favorite online DB, not just IMDB) and filtering sorting methods.
    I know its a tall order, but I’m even willing to pay for it !
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks

jennyfur
    Participant
      mikinho
      Participant

Btw, Yammm definitely isn’t what you are looking for since it is based on a fully automated experience w/o a GUI at all.  v2 is long over due but close to being released.  If there are items you think are essential, please e-mail and I”ll see about including them if there are not there already.  I’d appreciate it.

[quote=”jennyfur”]
        This is from last year, but still relevant.
        http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3582&Itemid=237
        [/quote]
        Thanks Jenny, yes I saw that. Its how I got turned on to MyMovies and MediaBrowser.
        I settled on MB, so looking for a good “back end” to it. I’ve heard that MetaBrower has some issues, or is no longer in development or something. Collectorz.com looks promising, I will see if I can get a trial. BTW, the deal-killer for me and MyMovies is that fact that it will not work if it cant talk to the mother ship, I refuse to use software like that, its other limitations I could work around.

Just checked out CollectorZ.com and it looks awsome, every bit as good as MyMovies and much better searching/filter. Still locked into their own database for metadata, which kinda sux, but I can work around that. Im gonna give it a try, as long as it dont have to talk to the mother ship I may just buy it.

jennyfur
        Participant

I’m strange. I use My Movies for it’s offline catalog capabilities, and then on my 7MC I use Media Browser (with Media Center Master grabbing the meta data for me).

Sadly :'( it looks like the app from collectorz.com is’nt going to work so well with WMC/media browser. Apparently, its strictly a cataloger (actually, it has a WMC viewer plugin, but media browser is much better). I may be forced to go back to MyMovies, what I hate about MM is the fact that if it cant talk to mommy, it refuses to run, extremely lame IMO. I darn sure wont pay for that bs.

I’m using MB with 7MC.  I use YAMMM to gather movie metadata and [url=http://tvscout.codeplex.com/]MediaScout[/url] for TV show metadata.  I haven’t updated MediaScout in ages, but the version I have doesn’t automatically download metadata as content is added to the library.  The newer version may accomplish this.

Mike Garcen
          Participant

i’m on MM3 strictly for the ability to delete my movies after watching. i got tired of forgetting to do so with MB and then having to RDP to do so. still prefer the UI of MB

jennyfur
            Participant

[quote=”Blue”]
              I’m using MB with 7MC.  I use YAMMM to gather movie metadata and [url=http://tvscout.codeplex.com/]MediaScout[/url] for TV show metadata.  I haven’t updated MediaScout in ages, but the version I have doesn’t automatically download metadata as content is added to the library.  The newer version may accomplish this.
              [/quote]
              Media Center Master does both movie [i]and[/i] TV show meta data. And it can automatically download when new content is added to your library.
              http://www.mediacentermaster.com/

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.