best low-end video card?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers best low-end video card?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I might as well get some advice from the hive-mind.

I’m building a new HTPC with a 785G motherboard. I don’t expect to play any games, but will end up playing downloaded video.

My current computer has an HD3850 and I am somewhat disappointed in AVIVO’s ability to hardware accelerate non-standard encodings (H.264 L5.1 for instance), so i was thinking of adding a discrete nvidia card.

It would appear that as far as power consumption goes, the GT200 series is better than the 9-series, and according to [url=http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/gf-210-gt220.html]this xbit comparison[/url], the 210 sucks for video quality. so is the 220 the way to go? does a 240 add anything useful for video quality? should i even care if i have an athlon II x4 to pick up the slack?

(ps. i’m still stuck on a 2.0 audio system for the time being because of the location and shape of our living room. yes, i know it sucks, i dont like it either, i used to have a giant SV subwoofer that could get above reference levels in my little dorm room, but i am dealing. anyways, audio issues don’t affect me at the moment)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.