August 3rd Blu-ray Releases

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground August 3rd Blu-ray Releases

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Original Article Link

[quote]Fair warning before you read this–if you are against even the idea of watching kids curse and kill people, then this movie is NOT for you. I was unfamiliar with the comic series of the same name, so I wasn’t sure what to expect outside of the reviews I had read or seen of it. There seemed to be a fair amount of either LOVE or HATE for this movie, and I can understand why. It’s rather taboo, but the movie deals with some young children who take it upon themselves to battle crime.[/quote]

I HATED it. I read the book (which I liked) before seeing the movie and was majorly disappointed with it. Not because of all the differences that happen when going from one medium to another but because the lead character was made into this boring, nearly moronic whiny teenager. He annoyed me and damn near ruined the entire movie because of the actor and the watered down character.

The movie should have been about Hit Girl and Big Daddy; their characters were much, much more compelling to watch. They easily stole the movie.

Nicolas Cage was incredible in the movie though. 🙂

Mike Garcen
    Participant

i didn’t read the book, but i agree with your 2nd portion 🙂

captain_video
      Participant

Just received it from NetFlix yesterday.  Sounds like one I won’t be watching with the spousal unit.

It’s just a terrible movie. Do yourself a favor and rent The Losers of the Killers (when that comes out). Both of those movies I’ve watched multiply times now. 🙂

Kick Ass was just a terrible movie despite how awesome they could have made it. Much worst then Spider man 3.

Mike Garcen
        Participant

lol Crim…you’re so harsh!! curious, do you think if you hadn’t read the book you would have though favorable? I only ask because you agreed with me on Cage’s performance, which I figure would be worth at least watching it…not to you?

mikinho
          Participant

I had no clue on the movie or book prior to taking my wife, kids and young nephews….

I was in awe and a little embarrassed the first couple minutes but whatever, they have (unfortunately) seen worse and aside from my daughter everyone really like the movie–my wife especially.

captain_video
            Participant

The rating on NetFlix shows it with 4+ stars out of 5.  I believe the NetFlix ratings relate to user reviews and not necessarily the critics.  The critics’ reviews at rottentomatoes.com give it a 75% positive rating (169 positive reviews out of 224) so obviously some people liked it more than Crim.

OTOH, Roger Ebert didn’t care much for it and my tastes tend to echo his.  He’s usually spot on with the kind of movies I like, but that doesn’t mean I won’t watch it.  I’ve been known to suffer through some real turkeys.

[quote=”shadymg”]
              lol Crim…you’re so harsh!! curious, do you think if you hadn’t read the book you would have though favorable? I only ask because you agreed with me on Cage’s performance, which I figure would be worth at least watching it…not to you?
              [/quote]
              My dislike has little to do with having read the book, I just hate the main character in the movie. I’ve watched it so far with my sis, bro and a friend and they all agreed that the main character’s story was just painful to watch while they should have spent more time with Cage and Moretz.

My friend actually only watched about 15/20 minutes of it before she got bored and angry at it and demanded I turn it off. I told her to hold tight and just skipped straight to all the Big Daddy and Hit Girl parts. She LOVED them too.

I hate seeing smart characters do stupid things just to move the story along and I feel that Kick Ass is nothing more then an incredibly immature High School kid who wants to feel important so he thinks it would be a “cool” idea to suit up. His entire character is superficial. It annoyed me to no end. The changes from the book to the movie did nothing but show me that everyone onboard with the movie didn’t care either about the artificial-ness of their watered down Lizewski.

I LOVED Cage and Chloë Moretz’s performances!! The only time I’ll watch Kick Ass I skip everything else and go right to their story parts.

jennyfur
              Participant

I only saw this movie in theaters cuz of Hit Girl. And it delivered. She was awesome.

I unfortunately have a ton of geek friends who were into the comic and had hyped this up for many many months in advance. I hadn’t read them myself.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.