are there any good extenders anymore?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers are there any good extenders anymore?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Guess the topic kinda says it all, sorry if this is a “dead horse” post, or in the wrong forum…
    But, does anyone make a good extender anymore? (no xbox)

Thanks for any tips

mikinho
    Participant

No.  The only Media Center Extender being manufactured is the XBox 360.  The new XBox Slim won’t be a bad extender when the updated Arcade is released.

If you are looking at other platforms, SageTV makes extenders that are considerably better.

I was afraid of that 🙁
      I actually have the sage software, and a first rev extender from them (which stinks)
      but really prefer the WMC interface.
      Oh well

Anonymous

I’m a little surprised you say the SageTV HD100 (their true 1st version of extender) stinks.  Unless you meant the old Hauppauge MVP…

The SageTV HD200 is actually pretty nice although they are out of stock at the moment.

jennyfur
        Participant

Why no xbox? As Mikinho stated, the new slim version of the arcade will be out soon (August 3rd I believe). It’s quieter, smaller, requires less power, has built-in wireless… in other words, a lot of reasons to consider it a decent WMC extender.

[quote=”brent”]
          Unless you meant the old Hauppauge MVP…
          [/quote]

yes, THAT one

Anonymous

The new XBox 360 is a definite improvement – especially if it is more reliable with no more RROD.  But it appears it will still stink in terms of codec support.  That alone gives me pause before calling it a “good extender” unless we’re talking TV/DVR functionality only.

[quote=”jennyfur”]
            Why no xbox? As Mikinho stated, the new slim version of the arcade will be out soon (August 3rd I believe). It’s quieter, smaller, requires less power, has built-in wireless… in other words, a lot of reasons to consider it a decent WMC extender.
            [/quote]
            That is something worth looking at, the older boxes are big, heavy,clunky and dont look so nice setting in the entertainment center!

[quote=”brent”]
            The new XBox 360 is a definite improvement – especially if it is more reliable with no more RROD.  But it appears it will still stink in terms of codec support.  That alone gives me pause before calling it a “good extender” unless we’re talking TV/DVR functionality only.
            [/quote]

Then again, maybe its not worth looking at…

Anonymous

[quote=”perry59″]
              [quote=”brent”]
              Unless you meant the old Hauppauge MVP…
              [/quote]

yes, THAT one
              [/quote]

Oh wow.  That thing first came out in 1993!
              The HD100 and HD200 are much, much improved over that.  The new XBox360 would be decent if you’re not worried about video file support beyond DVR functionality.

mikinho
              Participant

[quote=”brent”]
                [/quote]

Anything supported by Media Foundation is supported so that makes it as good as any other Windows Media Center Extender.  Comparing to it to SageTV extenders…then yes the native codec support sucks.  But It is a good Windows Media Center Extender.

mikinho
                Participant

The lack of VIDEO_TS and BDMV support is what kills Windows Media Center Extenders (MCX).  For ripped files I don’t see the native codec support being an issue since Media Foundation really does do a good job with transcoding other than multiple languages and subtitles.  There are work-arounds though.  (I’m a big foreign film nut and for my Brazilian movies my wife needs the subtitles).

[quote=”Mikinho”]
                  The lack of VIDEO_TS and BDMV support is what kills Windows Media Center Extenders (MCX).  For ripped files I don’t see the native codec support being an issue since Media Foundation really does do a good job with transcoding other than multiple languages and subtitles.  There are work-arounds though.  (I’m a big foreign film nut and for my Brazilian movies my wife needs the subtitles).
                  [/quote]

So what kind of files would be playable? just mpg & avi ?

mikinho
                  Participant

Just about any ripped format with a suitable Media Foundation or DirectShow decoder works.  The native W7 decoders handles the majority of the formats out there with the exception of MKVs, for MKV you’ll need a MKV splitter.  DivX’s MKV Media Foundation decoder can also be used.

Though some video file types might not be supported on a Media Center Extender. For example, Extenders don’t support AVCHD files or Apple QuickTime files.  The playback functionality will also be inconsistent for files being transcoded versus natively played back on the device.

Anonymous

Does the Xbox 360 handle ripped DVDs or Blu-rays in their native format without transcoding? 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.