Anyone going to see The Expendables?

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground Anyone going to see The Expendables?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

With all the names in the movie, I was interested when I first heard about it.  After seeing the trailers, I was pretty excited.  Now, after reading both critic and user reviews, I’m stoked!  Even the “bad” reviews aren’t saying it’s utter garbage, which is precisely what I was afraid of.  It would seem that they’ve taken it for what it was intended to be:  A testosterone infused, kill-em-all, tongue-firmly-in-cheek throwback to the action flicks of the 80’s and 90’s.  Mindless killing and action with past-their-prime heroes I grew up watching, now making fun of themselves?  I’m in!  ;D

I won’t be seeing it until Sunday afternoon, though, so don’t hold your breath waiting for my “review”.  😉

Earliest I can see it is Sunday as well, but I do plan on going.

mikinho
    Participant

Same.  My kids saw it and really enjoyed it, Gatinha and I are going on Sunday.

jennyfur
      Participant

I am all about seeing this! Just for the cast alone, I haven’t even bothered with the reviews. But now I’m not sure when I can fit it in my schedule, so it may be a few days before I can see it instead of opening weekend.

Mike Garcen
        Participant

hopefully y’all saw the Fandango Visa Signatures deal for B1G1 free coupon over at Slickdeals.net

not on my plans to go see….it’s tough to justify paying to watch a movie outside when i just paid a lot to make my own home theater nice 🙂 that being said, the movie does look pretty good….except for Randy Couture…dude can fight, but terrible actor

[quote=”shadymg”]
          hopefully y’all saw the Fandango Visa Signatures deal for B1G1 free coupon over at Slickdeals.net

not on my plans to go see….it’s tough to justify paying to watch a movie outside when i just paid a lot to make my own home theater nice 🙂 that being said, the movie does look pretty good….except for Randy Couture…dude can fight, but terrible actor
          [/quote]

Terrible actor?  While that wouldn’t surprise me, what movies have you seen him in?  I wasn’t even aware he’d been in other movies.

Well all the WWEWWF actors never really appeared to have any skills when acting in the ring. The Rock has done alright though, much better than Hulk Hogan’s acting for sure.

I just want to see Jet Li go all spider monkey on some bad guys.

[quote=”Meester.Rip”]
          Well all the WWEWWF actors never really appeared to have any skills when acting in the ring. The Rock has done alright though, much better than Hulk Hogan’s acting for sure.

I just want to see Jet Li go all spider monkey on some bad guys.
          [/quote]

Okay, the MMA fan in me is coming through now.  🙂  Let’s not compare the (lack of) acting skills in WWE wrestlers to real people who (as far as I know) never did any “performing”, following storylines, etc.  Randy Couture is a real fighter, not a “pro wrestler”.  That said, we’ll see how Randy does in this movie and I’ll have no problem coming back to this thread and saying, “Okay… Randy really needs to stick to MMA”, if it’s warranted.  ;D

Personally, I can’t think of any wrestlers I enjoyed in movies.  The Rock was “ok” in Game Plan, but that was more visual comedy that had me enjoying the movie, as opposed to his actual delivery of lines.  Steve Austin in Condemned was…  well…  also, “just ok”.  I’m really hoping The Expendables will be better than Condemned was.

The wife and I just got back from seeing this movie and it was everything I expected and more.  (My expectations were apparently lower than they should have been.  🙂 )  As I previously read, if you’re a fan of those old action movies from the previous era, you’ll love this movie.  I also think they kept it more “real”, which was a nice, somewhat unexpected departure.  A number of things you could see coming from miles away, both scenes and dialog, but it was still quite enjoyable.  Explosions, killing, fighting, one-liners… it’s all there.  I saw quite a few couples there.  Maybe everyone has as great a significant other as I do, who actually enjoys movies like this, but I got the feeling a number of the females in the theater were dragged there.  😉

My verdict:  Just go see it!  ;D

Mike Garcen
          Participant

[quote=”Skirge01″]
            [quote=”shadymg”]

[/quote]

Terrible actor?  While that wouldn’t surprise me, what movies have you seen him in?  I wasn’t even aware he’d been in other movies.
            [/quote]

love the guy as a fighter. seen him in: Redbelt, Scorpion King, and then one other “fighting” movie that had a bunch of even worse MMA guys (like GSP, Penn) but don’t remember the awful title 😛 But yeah, haven’t seen Expendables yet…but just saying…he hasn’t sold me thus far as an actor.

As far as acting goes, you don’t need to worry too much in this movie.  The dialog is minimal.  For his few lines, he did a fine job.  That said, a parrot could’ve delivered them just as efficiently.  🙂  (As I said I’d admit, if it were the case.)  Of course, I didn’t go to see this movie for the dialog and they kept the majority of that to the pros… thankfully.  I definitely appreciated the MMA moves which were shown, but was disappointed that there wasn’t more.  Then, again, you can’t have big explosions in hand-to-hand combat.

In the end, this movie will make for a great showcase on TNT during their next “movies for guys who like movies” stint.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.