Alternative Clarkdale (i3, i5) DirectShow Drivers

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Alternative Clarkdale (i3, i5) DirectShow Drivers

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    mikinho
    Participant

[quote=”dburckh”]
      After a lot of digging, I found vc1_dec_filter.dll which comes as part of the Intel Media SDK.  I had never even heard of this before.  It looks like babgvant had compiled to support VC-1 with version 1.5.  I did the same with 2.0beta5.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure there is no beta5.  The latest is 2.0.006_BETA2.  Did you mean 2.0.005? If so, try out 2.0.006.  I only did a quick test a couple days ago but the performance did improve.

Yes, I meant the 2.0.005 Beta version.  I was just abbreviating it.  So are they calling that Beta 1 and 2.0.006 Beta 2? 

Tell you what I’ll do to atone for my many sins on this post.  I’ll test 1.5, 2.0.0005 and 2.0.0006, ffdshow tryouts and post my results.  I’ll use a common file and time sequence.  I’ll use SpeedFan to track the mini-max CPU (Other suggestions welcome).  Might be a couple of days before I can get time to do all this…

[quote=”babgvant”]
      The MediaSDK VC-1 decoder is DXVA2 only on Intel GPUs (tested with an i5 and i3), on other GPUs it’s SW only (~15% on my Q6600 + ATI3650). 

Now that Sage has there own MKV splitter I’ve been using the ArcSoft TMT2 Video Decoder instead, so I haven’t messed w/ the Intel one for a while.
      [/quote]

So, I should be getting hardware acceleration on my i3-540 in MPC HC with EVR, correct?  It doesn’t appear that is happening.  Is there something else I need to set?  I’m using the Haali’s MKV splitter.  I’m a little in the dark on what it takes to make DXVA2 work.  Does it require Media Foundation? 

I’m willing to read if you have a good post.  Most of the stuff I’m seen on DXVA2 is pretty muddy.  I’m pretty sure that DXVA2 requires EVR.  I’m not sure if it require Media Foundation.

Andrew Van Til
      Keymaster

DXVA2 does require the EVR and a presenter that supports it, the EVR is exposed in MF but it works fine with DS too.  I haven’t tested with the MPC-HC’s presenter, so it’s possible that it doesn’t work with the filter.

What do you see in GraphStudio with the EVR (which will use the stock presenter)?

I don’t have any benchmarks against GraphStudio.  I’ll try that as well.

Sky Captain.mkv (VC-1, EAC3) 0-60 seconds

GraphEdit (no audio pin)
        Haali -> -> Enhanced Video Renderer

I had to eyeball the numbers, but these are the results.

FFDShow                 Peak 11-20 – 14 median
        Intel Media SDK
        2.0.005 (dburckh)    Peak 29-52 – 33 median
        2.0.006 (Intel)         Peak 29-52 – 34 median
        1.5       (babgvant)   Peak 7-12  – 9  median

Clearly DXVA is not working in 2.0.00x.  Did you do some additional magic to force it in your 1.5 build?  I’m going to play with 1.5 again to see how it performs.

Andrew Van Til
        Keymaster

No.  The numbers were actually quite a bit lower when m_bLie = FALSE, but then required two plays to start up.  I never took the time to figure out why it didn’t like what Haali (or the MPC-HC splitter) sent the first time.

On an related note, they just released a new version of mpc hc.  A few issues:

1.  I was hoping they had DXVA VC-1 for Clarkdale, but unfortunately it isn’t there. 
          2.  The really cool sync the refresh rate with the video frame rate feature doesn’t seem to work right with my setup. 
          3.  mpc-hc.exe doesn’t terminate when using Haali or Intel Media SDK VC-1 decoder (hangs on desktop with MediaBrowser).  Only works with internal filters.  This was happening in the last version as well.

Hopefully, there will be a patch for these…

I may still use it though, other than these it is very impressive.

Andrew Van Til
          Keymaster

If you’re using MPC-HC, their MKV and M2TS splitters are better than Haali.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.