Advice on setup of network storage box?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Advice on setup of network storage box?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I am going to be turning an old desktop into my main storage box.  It will have probably close to a terabyte of non-redundant disks.

My question is, I want this box to have shares for video and music, no real streaming or anything, just straight storing my stuff there, and playing it later (from that location).

I have seen a box setup that appeared to be a regular windows server from the network, with a number of available shares.

What services or packages would I need to setup something like that (for non ftp transfers).  Is that samba or something?  Security is not a concern, I use a firewall with little to no ports passed, and wireless is disabled in my house so someone would have to physically plug in to get at this box.

Also any recommendations on a build would be good, I would prefer to use something with x-windows or whatever, so I don’t have to do everything from the command line.

The basic specs on the box should be:

piii 733
    512mb of pc-133 ram
    integrated intel video (of the 815 variety)
    adaptec sata host adapter (2 ports)
    probably a 20 or 40 gig dedicated OS physical ide drive
    a generic cd-rom for setup, but removed later for more drive space

edit: gigabit ethernet in the house, so probably buying a gig nic later for this box, straight 100 for now

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.