Adding speakers to TV Audio Out

Home Forums General Home Theater Discussion Adding speakers to TV Audio Out

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    SJMaye

Thanks for the reminder.  I remember now that Windows MC can be a pain to switch between audio devices.  Based on all the input here the options are clearcut since I want the sound levels controlled by the windows MC and the MC remote.  It is between using the TV digital audio out and just going off the back panel of the MC.  I will run a test today connecting the digital audio out to my old receiver and see how it functions.  I hope to set a fixed amplification level and MC will control volume other than that.

swoon

Be aware that any source device sending Dolby Digital (or any other compressed format) will not be able to control the volume of that audio unless it decodes it, changes the volume and then re-encodes it.

SJMaye

[quote=swoon]

Be aware that any source device sending Dolby Digital (or any other compressed format) will not be able to control the volume of that audio unless it decodes it, changes the volume and then re-encodes it.

[/quote]

Well that sort of bites.  But makes sense. 

SJMaye

Resurrecting this one as I am close to a decision and could use a few more pointers.

Analog “TV Out” is stereo only so can’t use that.  The device connected to the TV is the MC HTPC.  So no switching of inputs or devices. I will be connecting the rear panel on the motherboard using analog connections.

I don’t want the hassle with all the speakers of a 5.1 or 7.1 system and the associated wiring. 

I think a 2.1 speaker system will be fine.  I was considering the Logitech Z-623.  Any thoughts on it or could you recommend another?

Aaron Ledger

I thought you were interested in Dolby Digital? The Logitech speakers are stereo so there is no benefit or point in worrying about Dolby.

SJMaye

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

I thought you were interested in Dolby Digital? The Logitech speakers are stereo so there is no benefit or point in worrying about Dolby.[/quote]

OK, Aaron, now you are finding out how little I know in yet another area Foot in Mouth.   I assumed the MB GA-P55A-UD3 by Gigabyte would do the decoding and I would connect out  to this speaker set.  If I do not use a digital connection is there no way to get Dolby?

Speakers on my TV bite.  Don’t want 5-7 speakers, but would like some decent sound for movies.  I am not heading the right direction?

Aaron Ledger

You are correct that the PC will decode the Dolby soundtrack. With the speakers you selected, the PC should be configured to downmix to stereo.

SJMaye

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

You are correct that the PC will decode the Dolby soundtrack. With the speakers you selected, the PC should be configured to downmix to stereo.

[/quote]

Understood.  I had considered some of those Logitech USB Z-Cinema speakers, but I read a number of posts on the Logitech forum.  Enough to scare me.  Thus looking at the Z-623.

SJMaye

A follow-up.  Since the media center is the only input used on the TV I elected to connect the speakers to the MC directly.  Got me around all the negatives in connecting to my TV audio out.

I purchased the Z623s.  Simple 2 speakers and a sub.  Not 19.1 channel Dolby digital, but in a very simple way adds good quality and depth of sound to my HTPC.   KISS works for me.

Thank you for all the feedback and thoughts.  It is appreciated.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.