Adding speakers to TV Audio Out

Home Forums General Home Theater Discussion Adding speakers to TV Audio Out

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

I would like to add speakers to my TV audio out.  I am still not sure if the normal media center volume control will also dial these up and down. 

It would be simple to connect to analog audio, but it is mono in my case.  I do have digital audio out, though.  Will this work?  What are my options?

swoon

There are a lot of options for you. Do you have a budget in mind? You can do anything from a full-blown surround configuration using an audio-video receiver (AVR) to some inexpensive amplified speakers.

If you don’t want an AVR or surround speaker configuration, you might be a good candidate for a sound bar.

Mike Garcen

i think he’s looking for a solution sans AVR.

Some older TV’s actually use to have speaker connection jacks on the back of tv that allowed you to connect standard stereo speakers to them.

New TV’s however have the analog Red/White composite connections, which bring up a problem for you because then you need an amplifier. What I did to solve this was I used a set of computer stereo speakers (Klipsch THX ProMedia :-P) which have their own amplifier and work just great with an easy mini->rca adapter

To your last question, NO, you cannot use your TV’s volume control for the second scenario i described above. This is the part that’s annoying, and all the more reason to use an AVR. Unless you’re using an HTPC, in which case the Mute/volume buttons for the system (not the TV) will work on your speakers.

oliverredfox

You didn’t mention a headphone jack, but if you have one, typically TV volume will control the output off the headphone outs.  Then you can just use a pair of cheap amplified computer speakers hooked to that.

If you’re looking for something with a small footprint and a little punch, some of the sound bars aren’t too bad.  You could hook up a unit like this to the TV’s digital audio out.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EPF6YO/  I had a different model sound bar in the bedroom at one point and for what it was, it sounded pretty good.  (the only reason I linked the Vizio is that I’ve seen it down at CostCo and they general carry decent products)

SJMaye

Hi Guys,

I am trying to do something simple.  I have a full Dolby 5.1 surround system with AV receiver.  The problem with that is I am trying to make it so everything is run via the original Windows Media Center remote control.  This is for me and the wife factor.  All I want to do is turn on the TV and the remote would control volume of the external TV speakers.  No turning on a separate amp.  Just a clean, lean install.

For simplicity I would be OK with L,C,R and a sub.  Just don’t want to get in to the hassle of wiring back speakers as I may be moving soon. 

I want to use my TV’s digital audio out coax connector as it offers dolby digital output.  I have considered computer speakers as the have their own amp.  I have also considered a device I saw a while back, but can’t find it anymore.  It was a simple amp only box for windows media center.  I think it would allow me to connect my existing speakers to it and it to my TV.

I am always looking for what is not built.

swoon

Is the issue with your existing configuration that there is more than one remote?

If that is the case, a universal remote could solve your problem using your existing speakers and AVR. I have a Logitech Harmony One with the volume controls mapped to the AVR.

SJMaye

I have a Harmony One as well, but can’t get over the simplicity of the old silver media center remote.  I am trying to get a solution that I can remain using that remote.

If I connect to TV Audio Out will the volume still be controlled by the remote or will it have to have separate volume controls? 

Mike Garcen

first, i agree with Aaron. If all this is for the simplicity of a single remote, buy a cheap Harmony (probably $30-40), it will cost WAY less than any speaker setup.

I was about to say even computer speakers wouldn’t be able to connect SPDIF, but then I realized that my speakers are extremely old and that technology evolves πŸ™‚ Looks like Logitech’s higher end speakers have digital coax

oliverredfox

[quote=SJMaye]

If I connect to TV Audio Out will the volume still be controlled by the remote or will it have to have separate volume controls? 

[/quote]

From http://eirikso.com/2005/11/16/how-to-program-the-buttons-on-your-mce-remote/

[quote]

By default, the VOL + and VOL – buttons on the remote control for Media Center PC control the system volume on your computer, and the TV button has no command assigned to it until it β€œlearns” one.

[/quote]

Follow the directions on there and reset your MCE remote to default.  Then reprogram the MCE remote to power the TV on/off but leave the volume settings at default.  It’ll then control your computers volume level and you’ll be able to hook any kind of speaker you want up and be able to adjust it from a distance.  Or you can program the volume buttons using your receiver’s remote and control it that way.

Ganjagadget

You may want to look at this for $100:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1109097/

Mike Garcen

[quote=Ganjagadget]You may want to look at this for $100: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1109097/%5B/quote%5D

I remember when that came out, got some pretty awful reviews…but man, at $100 it’s tough to beat

Here’s the direct link to Newegg

Ganjagadget

Skip the direct link and go to the discussion on fatwallet. There are links to reviews and more.

SJMaye

[quote=Mike Garcen]

first, i agree with Aaron. If all this is for the simplicity of a single remote, buy a cheap Harmony (probably $30-40), it will cost WAY less than any speaker setup.

I was about to say even computer speakers wouldn’t be able to connect SPDIF, but then I realized that my speakers are extremely old and that technology evolves πŸ™‚ Looks like Logitech’s higher end speakers have digital coax

[/quote]

I know this will sound bizarre, but it really is not about cost of solution…..to a point.  As I mentioned I have a Harmony One remote as well as about 4 other Harmony remotes.  The logitech speakers you mention are the ones I considering.  The Z906 specifically. 

The question though still remains; Do the TV audio out (digital or analog) ports raise and lower the volume or will they require volume set by the connected speakers.

While reading all the replies they reminded me of a more simple solution.  I got so hung up on HDMI sending all audio and video to the TV that I forgot I can route the audio to the back panel of the HTPC and have dolby in both analog and digital.  And the HTPC would control the volume. 

This opens many possibilities.  Now I can use analog and get dolby where analog TV audio out on my TV is plain stereo. 

Thanks for help thinking this through.  πŸ™‚

swoon

Just keep in mind that if you utilize multiple audio output types from Windows, you will need to manually switch between them which can be a pain.

autoboy

Some TVs will have a Variable Audio output.  You already have the TV, so you can check the settings in the TV and look for variable audio output.  The headphone jack also has variable audio output if you have one. 

My Sony has variable audio output. 

Then for amplification I use this:  http://www.amazon.com/AudioSource-AMP-100-2-Channel-Bridgeable-Amplifier/dp/B00026BQJ6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1309723717&sr=8-1

And then I have Def Tech Mythos 2 speakers on the dresser  http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/products.aspx?path=On-Wall/Shelf/Stand%20Speakers&productid=Mythos%20Two

And then I use a Sub in between the amp and the speakers for some low end.  The amp turns itself off when there is no signal, and the TV controls the volume.

I spent a lot on this system so it will look nice, and honestly, I would have been happy enough with something like this:  It’s a soundbar and wireless sub that will learn the remote commands for your TV volume.  I’ve heard it in a store, and it’s not fantastic, but it’s MUCH better than TV speakers and for casual listening, it’s pretty good.

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/TVee-Model-20-P422.aspx

Also keep in mind, that the digital output of your TV will only output stereo sound from everything except the internal TV tuner.  Anything connected to the HDMI ports will be in stereo from that digital output.  Dumb yes, but that’s the deal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.