A USB device that uses two ports?

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground A USB device that uses two ports?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I just got in an external 2.5″ 160GB Seagate FreeAgent Drive for work. (I needed something a little more compact to carry Ghost images around on)  First thing I noticed when I was plugging it in was that it had a ‘Y’ USB cable on it. At first I thought the other end was a splitter of some sort and just plugged in one cable. Nothing. I look at the instructions and it requires both ends to be plugged into two seperate USB ports.

Plugged both in and up in came. I started copying about 10 gigs to it right off the bat, and before I could finish bitching to myself about having to use 2 USB ports, the sucker was done. I mean FAST for USB. If I had to guess it was under 45-50 seconds. This is not typical for USB2 in my expierence.

My question is this: Are there devices out there that can ‘stripe’ data reads/writes across two USB ports? The obvious answer is ‘yes dumbass there’s one on your desk’ , but what I MEAN is have you guys heard of this before? I guess it could be power hungry, but I’ve used 2.5″ enclosures for years and never needed more than one port or a power adapter.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.