a new build, something different this time

Home Forums Home Theater Computers a new build, something different this time

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Year after year I have been taking on new htpc build projects, searching for the holy grail of htpc setups.  So far I have amassed a somewhat impressive and functional system with a 3TB server behind 3 client systems in the home.  After all of the time, effort (and money) finding the fastest, stutterless and most importantly, waf worthy combination of case, mobo, cpu, hard drive, front end, remote, etc, etc….I am now about to embark on another project.  The temps outside have forced me inside, tis is the season to start a new build.

This time around, I am setting my sights on an (almost?) fanless (i.e. silent) htpc.  Of all of the qualitative factors I have considered over the years, my most recurring thoughts center around the NOISE my client systems make.  These systems are full of recommended htpc “silent” parts discovered here at missing remote (let me not forget to mention htpcnews and silent pc).  The problem is despite my biased perception that these things are quiet, they really are not, especially when s3 fails in the middle of the night or the hard drive forgets to go to sleep.

So I ask for your help. 

In general, my build will be a simple client system, htpc style case suitable for the bedroom screen (24″ LCD).  It will play store bought and rented dvds as though it were a standalone dvd player (high waf concerns here).  It will play mpeg, avi, wmv, mp3 and jpg files stored on my server and connected via a wired network.  It will function like a basic tv set with simple on and off and remote control (two on buttons is bad, one on button is good).  It will record tv onto the server harddrive over the network.  It should have a headphone jack for sleeptime listening (another high waf concern)  It would ideally have a front panel usb/component port for portables hookup to watch quick pics off of a flash drive or my digicam.

It does not have to be high def resolution video, it only has to be whatever standard resolution dvds are, no more, no less.  the monitor is widescreen.  I have a 5.1 RCA cheapo receiver that takes a spdif signal for audio, the remote has to control all of that.  It does not have to burn or rip dvds or cds.  It does not need to have a vfd display.  It does not have to compress shows.  It should be able to handle ffdshow though.  It does not have to be cool, i am taking risks here but I am willing to run into the 50 C range with temps as a tradeoff for silence, besides it is getting cold outside  ;D

Above all, it must be dead quiet most of the time.  I don’t want a cpu fan, I don’t want case fans,  I don’t want a psu fan.  Now, I know that may be asking wai too much so I am thinking i will either have one case fan or one psu fan.  i am not concerned too much about hard drive or opti drive noise but i need to avoid unnecessarily noisy devices.  I anticipate software control will keep the hd and opti drive as quiet as can be.

I dunno where to start so let me throw out a few ideas from what i know

Silverstone LC17 case – because it is my most successfully cool case.

MOBO – fanless. low power, giganet, usb header, S3 functionality.

CPU – ultra low power for passive cooling with an effective heatsink. slot(s) for two tv tuners.

RAM – 2 gig

HardDrive – 160 min size, low power

opti drive – dvd player, cd, cdr player. quiet, smooth tray operation.

psu – minimum wattage, fanless if possible

tv tuners – nothing special, just stutterless play and reliable recording quality.  ota hd might be an option i would be interested in dealing with.

remote control – as close to stand alone tv funtionality as possible, must control separate home theater receiver (via ir blaster to pc usb port)

software – i use btv, but would be open to suggestions if i could get a better front end to access hard drive videos and music files.  i will not go back to mce until it records in some other format than dvrms.

thats about it, any takers?  I will post my own research findings on a somewhat daily basis so any response will be appreciated.  i know at least one of you folks hanging out here have a passivelly cooled cpu and your experienced based comments would sure be helpful.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.