$30 for PPV? Sure Hollywood.

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground $30 for PPV? Sure Hollywood.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

[quote=”captain_video”]
    Yes it does.  Especially when you consider that in that same time frame the budget theaters that show movies at the end of their theatrical run will let you in for only a buck or two and won’t make you take out a 2nd mortgage to buy a soda and some popcorn.
    [/quote]

Yeah, but you’ll have to buy new shoes because they’ll be super glued to the floor of the theater.  There’s the financial benefit… you can’t buy a new pair of shoes for <$30.

Okay, in all seriousness, this whole idea is ridiculous.  I'm sure some (very rich) people will be willing to do this, but not the majority of people.  I guess if there's really no overhead, then a single $30 purchase is still worth it.  As was said earlier, if you've got a serious home theater and want to invite a bunch of people over, this would be a nice option.  But, that's it.

captain_video
    Participant

[quote=”Skirge01″]
      Yeah, but you’ll have to buy new shoes because they’ll be super glued to the floor of the theater.  There’s the financial benefit… you can’t buy a new pair of shoes for <$30.
      [/quote]
      I'm not sure we're talking about the same kind of theater. 😉

[quote=”captain_video”]
      [quote=”Skirge01″]
      [/quote]
      I'm not sure we're talking about the same kind of theater. 😉
      [/quote]

ROFL… yeah, guess I walked right into that one.  ;D

This sounds just like in the early DVD days when there was the DVD Standard and the DIVX (not the media player) format.  The DIVX format was cheaper up front, but then you had to pay each time you played the disc, or a large charge to get unlimited plays.  Disney was all for this format because they could rake in the $$$ from the kids that wanted to watch a movie 1,000,000,000,000,000 times.

captain_video
      Participant

[quote=”rgroves”]
        This sounds just like in the early DVD days when there was the DVD Standard and the DIVX (not the media player) format.  The DIVX format was cheaper up front, but then you had to pay each time you played the disc, or a large charge to get unlimited plays.  Disney was all for this format because they could rake in the $$$ from the kids that wanted to watch a movie 1,000,000,000,000,000 times.
        [/quote]
        With DIVX you could pay for each viewing or purchase the disc outright for unlimited views.  It required special DVD players to play the discs and they were only available from Circuit City, IIRC.  Both DIVX and CC (retail stores, that is) are no longer around so it must have been a great success. ::)  Greed is not always good.

I just can’t believe that the entertainment industry has become so entrenched in our lives that people would be willing to pay for this.  I have so many better things I can be doing with my life while I wait for a DVD/BD to be available at Redbox for $1/$1.50.

[quote=”babgvant”]
        Unless you’ve got a serious HT install it would be really hard to match the theater. 
        [/quote]

I don’t have a “serious” home theater…just a Yamaha receiver, 5 speakers, and a Klipsch 12″ 300 watt subwoofer, but it is much better than any of the theaters I go to.  The theaters just don’t have any surround sound and very little bass.  I mean, I can hear explosions at the theater but it’s not deep; I don’t feel it like I do at home.  And the surrounds are just too subtle for me in the theater; that is if I hear anything at all.  The coolest surround effect that I can remember hearing in the theater was in X-Men (or part 2, not sure) when Wolverine was walking around the mansion and Professor X called to him through telepathy and you heard, “Logan”, discretely in each surround.

Andrew Van Til
        Keymaster

Not sure where to go with that.  I have a pretty decent setup, but it’s nowhere close to the experience available at the theaters around here.

I’m with htpc_user…  the theaters around here are terrible.  Forget about any surround sound.  The entire audio setup is turned up way too loud, so that you can actually get a little bit of a rumble.  The picture can be grainy and the screens tend to have spots or tears.  Besides that, I really don’t need a huge screen for most movies.  Iron Man, Transformers, Die Hard…  action movies, in other words…  those can benefit from a big screen.  But, I’ll still have a better experience at home, both aurally (surround sound I can hear) and visually (crisp picture).

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.