Re: CNET Reviews Samsung`s PN50C8000

Home Forums Re: CNET Reviews Samsung`s PN50C8000

[quote=”Matt”]
I have to say that’s way more affordable than I thought it would be… I know the pro stuff is $1000+

I’ve been interested in getting something for real calibration (not just by eye) and not the junk marketed to home users like the DataColor Spyder3TV.

I’m curious how/why is that colorimeters drift? and what can be done about it?
[/quote]

I don’t know exactly why the drift, but I think it has something to do with the filters inside a colorimeter that change characteristics over time due to humidity and temperature changes. As I understand it, spectroradiometers do not have this same issue, but of course are more expensive. My meter came with dessicant, so I just seal it up in a ziploc with it and hope it helps knowing that in a few years, I may need to think more about the accuracy of it at that time.

The i1 Display colorimeters have advantages in price/accuracy ratio, low-light sensitivity, measurement speed and are temperature-compensated.

I bought one because it seemed strange to purchase a $2k display and not spend an extra $150 on a meter to get things more accurate, especially seeing as how HTPC is my source and who knows what’s going on with driver changes/video card changes/software changes… The fact that I could also use it for ICC profiling on my PC displays was an added bonus.