Wireless vs. Wired

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Wireless vs. Wired

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I’m currently planning to build up a new home theater network when I get back.  I have my server and HTPC component pretty much selected.  Now I need to decide how to connect the two.  I love the benefits of going wireless but I’d much rather have a quality network over a convenient setup any day.  So I have decided to ask the masses.  Is wired networks really that much better for network throughput? 

PAPutzback

Definitely yes. As far as I know I don’t think there is a wireless network that could handle streaming a BluRay rip. Even if it could that would probably be all it could handle at one time. Between network tuners, Netflix streaming and XBOX gaming my network gets hit pretty hard. I’d use Cat6 throughout.

AFguy

I was going to go with Cat6 anyway if I went wired.  After doing more extensive research I think wired is my way to go.

swoon

Good choice, you’ll save yourself the most pain by going wired. Make sure to get CAT6 connectors and jacks if wiring it yourself.

Mike Garcen

echo what everyone else said, wired is the way to go unless you can’t physically do it due to the house or whatever. But it sounds like you can, so make your life easier 🙂

PAPutzback

I’m a big fan of firefold.com and keystone jacks. I put in six port plates so I can add whatever I need later. 

I also plan on putting in a few of these in key places.

http://store.fastmac.com/product_info.php?products_id=458

mikinho

Love the USB charging power plug.  I have them all over the house now.

PAPutzback

[quote=mikinho]

Love the USB charging power plug.  I have them all over the house now.

[/quote]

That’s good to hear. I can stop ordering 10ft micro USB cables and use the short ones the phone makers keep shipping.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.