What’s your processor usage when streaming HD?

Home Forums Home Theater Computers What’s your processor usage when streaming HD?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

I’ve got a core2duo running at 2.2Ghz w/4gb ram that runs as the VMC server in the basement. It streams to 1×360 and 1x Linksys v2 extender. Everything connected via Ethernet and maxed out the meters when I run the network tuning.

When streaming SD to both extenders simultaneously my processor comes in at around 12%.  When running 1HD stream and nothing else to either one of the extenders, the usage jumps between 65%-80% and maybe more. My HD card is a few year old Vbox Cat’s Eye 150.  (pcie) This setup used to work just fine for the past year and now everything just stutters.  I’ve updated all the drivers, have applied the new Vista TV Pack, etc.

I know HD is a lot more processor intensive, but I was wondering if these values were normal, or if newer cards with better drivers support are yielding better results? We are about to move in the next couple months into another house and I’m debating moving to a DTV DVR and living without all the coolness, but adding better performance.

Thanks in advance.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.