what’s a Good Remote control for media center

Home Forums Beginner General Questions what’s a Good Remote control for media center

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I’m a long time Beyond TV user fixing to start up a media center pc.  I’ve been using snapstreams  dinky little remote, but now i guess i’ll need something else for Media center,  I would like something with the buttons more spread out or larger.  Who is making good quality remotes for pc’s?

frijones

Assuming you are using a firefly or firefly mini, you should be able to use the receiver and a universal remote like one of the Harmony remotes.  I’m using a MCE remote receiver module with a Harmony 550 and it works perfectly.

swoon

Do you need/want a universal remote or just a remote for WMC?

jrandeck

I have a Firefly Mini which is what it sounds like you have (the regular Firefly is not exactly dinky.)   It works pretty well as is for Media Center, though the buttons might not all match up.  I haven’t used mine with Media Center for a while so I don’t remember specifics, but it seemed to work fine for basic control.

I haven’t tried using its receiver with a Harmony.  I just got a Harmony, though, so I’ll have to give that a try and see how it works.

The remote I use most is  a Gyration remote.  Unfortunately they’re discontinued but you can still find them if you hunt.  It has universal remote capabilities (and can learn codes from another remote) but doesn’t have a lot of the automatic features you get from a Harmony or some other universal remotes.  The Gyration also doubles as a mouse, though, which is very handy, especially if you’re not in Media Center all the time.   I don’t mind having to push extra buttons to control the receiver or TV when it means having the convenience of having a mouse always there.

BTW, the regular Firefly is an RF remote, so a Harmony won’t work with it.  I don’t think there are RF universal remotes that would work with the Firefly receiver.  I have the same issue with the Gyration since it’s PC control is RF.

Mike Garcen

doesn’t have a mouse, but the Boxee remote is small and has a keyboard at least. But if you have to have a mouse, the Dinovo Mini will do the job but definitely isn’t a remote form factor…as long as you can live without the mouse, Harmony is the way to go. The Harmony 900 and 890 both support RF devices I believe.

swoon

I really like the IOGEAR GKM561R over the DiNovo Mini. It’s much less expensive and more functional. It is bigger, of course, but a great size for what it gives.

rhendrix9

I’ve seen a lot of comments on the harmony products.

Do all the harmony remotes all have MCE commands built in?

swoon

I’ve seen a lot of comments on the harmony products.

Do all the harmony remotes all have MCE commands built in?

Yes. It’s a universal so it can control any device.

rhendrix9

[quote=swoon]

Do you need/want a universal remote or just a remote for WMC?

[/quote]

I guess just WMC IDK tho have not set it up yet.  I do have a netflix account and movies from disk and DVD. Not really any other devices just tv and pc , it be nice to turn on the tv, fkip through channels, select source,  until I get it going i guess i won’t know.

rhendrix9

[quote=jrandeck]

I have a Firefly Mini which is what it sounds like you have (the regular Firefly is not exactly dinky.)   It works pretty well as is for Media Center, though the buttons might not all match up.  I haven’t used mine with Media Center for a while so I don’t remember specifics, but it seemed to work fine for basic control.

I haven’t tried using its receiver with a Harmony.  I just got a Harmony, though, so I’ll have to give that a try and see how it works.

[/quote]

Actually I have both firefly’s but the mini is the one I use the most (different rooms/pc’s).  By dinky I was referring to the size of the mini 🙂 I’m always hitting the wrong or two buttons at once.

Mike Garcen

so to clarify, the Harmony remote control does not come with a USB IR receiver, so if it can’t communicate with your Firefly dongle, then you’ll have to buy one of the old Microsoft eHome IR receivers, usually around $10-20.

Chasseur

I have a MCE remote with learning capabilities. However, I cannot find it for sell anymore.

I’m looking for a MCE remote that can control my tv power and volume. 

Mike Garcen

[quote=Chasseur]

I have a MCE remote with learning capabilities. However, I cannot find it for sell anymore.

I’m looking for a MCE remote that can control my tv power and volume. 

[/quote]

This one on ebay looks like the one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Microsoft-MCE-Media-Center-Remote-Windows-XP-Vista-/160512966432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255f517f20

Chasseur

[quote=Mike Garcen]This one on ebay looks like the one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Microsoft-MCE-Media-Center-Remote-Windows-XP-Vista-/160512966432?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item255f517f20%5B/quote%5D

It has the same shape, except, on the topleft, mine has a power button for the tv. Also, I think this one won’t control tv’s volume.

albundles

Has anyone tried the Logitech Revue keyboard? It has power buttons for STB, AV and TV, it’s basically a harmony remote in a form of a keyboard. 

I’m thinking about getting this soon, just have to make my mind up if it’s worth it or not… right now I’m using the tv remote, an HP mce remote, the microsoft mce keyboard and a seperate remote for the AV! it’s driving me nuts but I can’t find that one(neo) remote that will replace them all… Maybe the Motorola Nyxboard. Agh!  

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.