Vista/Win7 concurrent RDP hack breacks Java and video for remote client

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Vista/Win7 concurrent RDP hack breacks Java and video for remote client

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hi all,

Has anybody of you noticed this? When using Windows 7 (or Vista, I’ve had the same problem there) with the “concurrent users remote desktop hack” applied, Java apps and video playback will “hang” for a remote user.

Using the concurrent users hack, it’s possible to log into the system via Remote Desktop as a second user without disturbing what the system is doing (for example running the HTPC frontend). However, I’ve found a few things that don’t work for a remote user, when a local user is also logged in. In all cases the application hangs, maxing out the CPU, and the application resumes as soon as the local user logs out.

– Java applets. Even the Java control panel applet freezes.
    – Playing videos. Windows Media Player and MPC-HT freeze. VLC does not freeze, but it won’t play the video and does not show any error message.
    – Photo viewing in Live Photo Gallery. LPG freezes, but everything works fine when using Windows Photo Gallery instead.

I’ve been having this problem when using Vista and when using Win7, and can even recreate it now on a virtual machine.

Are more people having this problem, and is there a solution known?

GhostInTheShell

thanks so much pbb72!

Java programs not working has been bugging me for about a year now, as my main use of the remote log in was to run a Java program… It wasn’t too bad since it oddly worked when there was a fullscreen application running locally and I had almost always the MC running. Now I know finally why and how to fix this Smile would still be nice though if it was also possible with aero enabled…

djrobx

Another word of thanks!  I’ve been uninstalling and re-installing Java trying to figure out what the heck was wrong.   I did want to add one point that might help.  If you’re the remote user, and you want to be able to run Java, you can disable Aero by running:

net stop uxsms

The logged in user will just lose the eye candy.    When you’re done, and want to turn it back on:

net start uxsms

You could even put them in a batch file to automate it if you regularly run a Java app. 

sogetthis

This helped me so much! Thanks!

In services.msc I changed the Desktop Service from Automatic start to Manual start. Now java works every time 😉

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.