TV live and recorded has recently started to drop frame rates

Home Forums Home Theater Computers TV live and recorded has recently started to drop frame rates

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    PAPutzback
    Spectator

So I have had to use my XBOX to watch everything lately. I am not sure what could have changed. I rolled back to a set of ATI drivers from last year thinking an update caused an issue. After that I tried the KLite codec and still nothing. I am debating on trying to restore to an earlier date or run Windows repair. 

I’d consider a full re-install if there was a fail proof way of restoring my guide and recorded TV settings. And hopefully not a call to Comcast to resynch my CETON Tuner.

I’ve searched and everything points to codecs but all the articles seem to state this as an issue that started out of the box. My PC has been working fine since October 2010. 

volfan6415

I would try restoring to an earlier date when you know that it was not dropping frames. If that doesn’t work then it might be hardware related.

Aaron Ledger

If you decide to perform a clean install (and after installing KLite, it may be the best course of action), you will not have to re-pair your CableCARD. You only would need to do that if you obtained a different CableCARD or a different CableCARD tuner.

As far as restoring your guide settings and recording schedule, you can try mcBackup.

PAPutzback

[quote=Aaron Ledger]

If you decide to perform a clean install (and after installing KLite, it may be the best course of action), you will not have to re-pair your CableCARD. You only would need to do that if you obtained a different CableCARD or a different CableCARD tuner.

As far as restoring your guide settings and recording schedule, you can try mcBackup.

[/quote]

You mention installing Klite as my best course of action. Is Klite a better codec than whatever Media center and TMT use? If McBackup works I might try to use my backup from Windows Home server 11 and then restore my guide.

Aaron Ledger

No. I mean that I do not recommend installing Klite at all. I don’t know what state it leaves codecs in and I have read horror stories from other users of codec packs. I only install what I need and for me that is only LAV Splitter, LAV Video and LAV Audio. I do not recommend installing anything if you find the performance of WMC and TMT satisfies your needs. There should not be a case that those cause stuttering so it probably is best to start over with a clean install since it will likely take less time than trying to figure out what is going on. At least that way, you’ll have a known starting point and if you still have stuttering, you’ve eliminated a lot of potential guesswork.

PAPutzback

Well the rebuild fixed everything. But that MCBackup was a nightmare. I thought I could run it once I got Windows and the tuners drivers installed. But then it said he created one tuner entry and the guide. But opening windows kept prompting to go through setup. So I did and then ended up with my guide doubled and only 4 tuners. (I think I need to buy Tuner Salad now). The only way I could get it to work was to setup my the MC as normal, delete the database in Ehome and then run the restore.

Aaron Ledger

Glad you are back to non-stuttering viewing. If you happen to have a Ceton InfiniTV, the current driver package will allow WMC to have 30 tuners.

PAPutzback

[quote=Aaron Ledger]Glad you are back to non-stuttering viewing. If you happen to have a Ceton InfiniTV, the current driver package will allow WMC to have 30 tuners.[/quote]

Wow! If only TVs came with an MC lite edition that could tune in some networked Ceton tuners. I wonder what other applications they thought of when making that change.

So is TunerSalad the only way to increase the tuner count?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.