To Receiver, Or Not To Receiver…That is the Question

Home Forums General Home Theater Discussion To Receiver, Or Not To Receiver…That is the Question

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Hi Everyone,

Some of you may have helped me build my HTPC over the last few weeks.  And it has gone quite well.  So Thank You!

Now to the next step.  Right now, i have all kinds of connections going on, that make switching between my HTPC, my TivoHD and my XBOX 360 a nightmare, specifically a Remote nightmare.

So with that in mind, let me tell you how things are hooked up now and maybe someone will have an idea on how I can simplify things.

Here’s what I have:
    [list]
    [*][b][color=orange]HTPC[/color][/b]:  This has a VGA out directly to the TV, and three 3.5mm male-to-male cables for surround sound (analog?) to the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 system
    [*][b][color=orange]TivoHD[/color][/b]:  This is using an HDMI directly to the TV, and optical Toslink cable for sound to my Zektor digital audio switch which then goes to the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 system
    [*][b][color=orange]XBOX 360[/color][/b]:  This is using component cable directly to the TV, and optical Toslink cable for sound to my Zektor digital audio switchwhich then goes to the Logitech Z-5500 5.1 system[/list:u]

As you can see, I have to switch between TivoHD and XBOX 360 on the Zektor when using those inputs, but when I am using the HTPC, I have to switch the inputs on the Logitech from optical to the 6-channel direct (the 3.55mm cables) for that.  Rather annoying.

What I would like is to simplify this for my remote and for my wife.  And I would like to make switching between the video and audio inputs simpler.  As I see it now, the VGA video cable eliminates a receiver for switching the video.  And then, if I do buy a receiver to handle all of the audio inputs, is that just nuts?  Or maybe I am just nuts, and I am making this harder than it should be? LOL 🙂

So if anyone has any ideas, I am listening…

Thanks in advance…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.