Thinking of building another file server

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Thinking of building another file server

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    skirge01

flips, the 20GB reference is just the size of the partition.  That’s the size WHS v1 requires the OS partition to be, so it creates that and the rest of the drive becomes the D: partition.

As far as unraid goes, their website says it only supports up to 21 drives with the Pro license.  shadowhc is talking about 25+ drives, so unless I’m misreading their website, unraid won’t work for his situation.

shadowhc

Curious how hard it is to increase the size of the primary drive.  

shadowhc

Going to run an experiement:

1. Build the new whs:

1 1tb(primary)

2 2tb

2. add some data

3. clone primary drive

4. put the clone partition in a laptop 160gb drive and change the partition from 20gb to 60gb.

5. Run it for a week to see if it dies. might install hdpvr and sagetv for it to test with

6.  if it works.  Ill buy a ssd and have 60gig system drive 60gig D: parition on my current primary whs system.

shadowhc

So i installed Disk Managment and i am transfering a folder from my pool to an outside hdd about 2000 files in it.  Activity doesnt go above 5 MB/s, is this average for 5400 rpms?  I zipped up one folder and it came to 15 gbs and moved that .. that one moved at 50 MB/s .. I think thats average for the samsung drives.  Is this type of activity normal.  Is moving a bunch of files when i select all and copy slowing down my transfer speed.

skirge01

I know I’ve seen guides on increasing the primary partition, so I know it can be done, but I don’t know if there are any caveats to doing so.

The copy speed sounds very slow.  I just tested on my system and went to the fs folders (via the C: drive) which I knew was on a WD EVCS drive and copied a 19GB file to my D: drive, which is a 7200rpm Samsung drive.  I was averaging 36MB/s using Teracopy.

shadowhc

The speed might be because its a bunch of small files.  Since it seems when i transfer big files it slowly ramps up to about 36 MB/s .. if its a small file it can never get that fast since the ramp up time it too long to increase the MB/s

flips

[quote=skirge01]

flips, the 20GB reference is just the size of the partition.  That’s the size WHS v1 requires the OS partition to be, so it creates that and the rest of the drive becomes the D: partition.

As far as unraid goes, their website says it only supports up to 21 drives with the Pro license.  shadowhc is talking about 25+ drives, so unless I’m misreading their website, unraid won’t work for his situation.

[/quote]

Ah..  yeah partition, should of figured…

That is the max that unraid supports in the pool (parity protected), but he could add the 4 others as JBOD or cache, I believe.  I think 25+ drives in one server is a bit of a pipe dream in my opion.  That $250 power supply has a single 12V rail of 100A Surprised   (not to mention the cost of the UPS) Even at that most of his drives would need to be green to get up to 25 drives  and I don’t know of a lot of cases that would support 25 drives.  Running two servers with a more realistic power supply and case seems like a better option.

shadowhc

So i plugged in the specs of my pc into psu calculator and it comes out to be about 700 watts.  So I am not sure which power supply play it safe with teh 1200 watt, or get the cosair 1000w.  Any suggestions?  

skirge01

You never want to be running the PSU near it’s max rating.  Some very simple math says that 700 would be 70% of the 1kw PSU, which I think is fine.  But, I’m not sure that I’d put much more of a load on it.  With how quickly you seem to outgrow your systems, you might be better off with the 1200w PSU.  Either that, or get a case which can hold 2 PSUs, like my Lian-Li does.  Then, you could get two smaller PSUs and still have quite a bit of room to grow.

ohpleaseno

[quote=shadowhc]

I really like having the pool for my recordings so my sagetv will be in whs even if its not in the new server. Then again if i have it in its own windows7 box it will force me to delete stuff. hmm

[/quote]

I solved this by setting up SJQ to do a :moverec command on any recording over 21 days old to the pool in WHS.

Having Sage on a Win7 box backed up by the WHS has been a much better experience than putting it on WHS alone.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.