The HTPC Software Start Page

Home Forums MissingRemote Playground The HTPC Software Start Page

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

[url=http://www.missingremote.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3222&Itemid=226]Original Article Link[/url]

I’m not so sure about this, but this could just be my “old school” mentality.  I expect the main menu to allow me access to the most common functions I or any user would be likely to use.  I don’t expect the “main menu” on my HTPC to be a home page or portal.  I don’t do the “social” thing nor do I ever intend to:  No MySpace, no Facebook, etc.  My HTPC is generally used for 1 of 2 things:  browsing the internet or watching something.  Sometimes we browse photos or listen to music, but it’s primarily one of the other two things.

So, do I want the “what’s new” option?  Yes, but not on the main menu.  I go to the TV menu item and click on recorded TV and I’m there:  about 4 clicks, including arrowing down to select the recordings option.  Do I really care that I recently ripped a new CD or added photos?  Not really.  If I want to go to those, my media is organized correctly and I know how to get to it very quickly.

The recommendations notion is a pretty good idea, but I still don’t think it’s a “main menu” item.  If the babysitter or my parents come over, they really couldn’t care less about this stuff.  Now, allowing me to access Pandora or Last.fm via my HTCP is fine, but, again, not on the main menu.  When I want some suggestions for something new, I’d head to one of those.

Let’s put it this way, when I pop a Blu-Ray disc into my player, I don’t want BD-Live to access the internet and bring up a bunch of suggestions for more movies I might be interested in.  I want to watch the movie, dammit!  ;D  I’m open to other ideas, but my main menu should be just that:  the starting point to access my HTPC’s functions, not for broadening my horizons.

Alan Cooke

After looking at the Metro UI from W7 and W8 it sparked my memory of this blog post I made a couple of years ago and tracked it down. I think Microsoft has done a bang up job with thier new OS. This to me is a very intuitive tool for what people do most with their computer. As somebody who constantly helps people with their computers, I do believe this offers a more natural experience than the desktop. This simplifies the experience greatly and I kind of think that was the point of this blog post I made way back for HTPCs. Something that is intuitive, accessible and allows the user to easily consume or use whats important to them. 

Food for thought at any rate.. 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.