Suggestions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

WHS/Sagetv box is dead.  I am not even going to attempt to get it working again.  Time for a new box.  Not sure what to go towards.  I was thinking of getting a ceton card but I am moving in Sept and might not get fios again.  I believe cablevision has all the channels on copy once so using that card with sagetv would be out.  Might just might build a windows 7 with ceton htpc for the summer until I figure out what I am doing.  Any suggestions?

PAPutzback

I’ve gotten by with ATSC for the past few years and the cheapest cable package so the kids could access their TOON and NICK. Along with Netflix it has been pretty good. IF I really want to see a show I don’t have access to I get the torrent but that is like 5 percent of my viewing.

swoon

Sounds like you’ll need to rebuild your WHS/SageTV server box anyway. Why not retain your usage of SageTV since it seems like you are happy with it and already have a license? If you happen to move to a CopyOnce provider, switch over to WMC at that time.

shadowhc

Ok WHS is dead… should i rebuild it?  Not sure what to do anymore.  I am sticking with Sagetv until epg is gone, I have 2 licenses and 2 extenders so I should be ok for a while.  My issue is where to store dvds and recordings.  I am thinking of using Windows 7 as my sagetv server for recordings but I am not sure how to go about designing this entire system.  WHS + window 7.  I dont like that WHS 2 doesnt have DE, I hate that WHS1 doesnt have 3TB compat.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

skirge01

My plan is to move my server to either Windows 7 or SBS.  I’m also moving off of DE ahead of that move for multiple reasons.  Keep in mind that SageTV can easily manage multiple recording folders, so it’s not that big of a deal to lose DE.  (Honestly, I never thought I’d be saying that, but it’s true.)

Regarding SageTV and EPG…  you know that they’ll continue providing EPG for at least a year and that there are alternatives (XMLTV and Schedules Direct) which will work with SageTV, right?  So, technically, EPG won’t ever really go away.

shadowhc

Any suggestions on setup, use raid or just throw hdds into a windows 7 box.  My thing was i loved the easy set up of WHS for network. Maybe I’ll do a windows 7 box and try whs2.  Not sure yet.

autoboy

Unless you really liked the PC backup of WHS1, I don’t see any reason to switch to WHS2 since it lacks DE.

SageTV doesn’t care what disk your content is on, so you could build any OS you want for the server.  Win7 is probably your best bet, but if you had enough ram and a spare license even Vista isn’t that terrible.

The only thing to really think about is whether or not you use firewire channel changing.  The driver only works on 32bit systems so Win7 64bit is out if you use firewire channel changing.

Raid depends on whether or not you have content on your server that needs to be protected.  The only stuff needing protection on my server is pictures, so there are other options out there for that.  I don’t duplicate my videos or movies since I can always just re-rip them.

One thing you might consider in the new build is a SSD for the OS.  I’ve heard it really speeds up sageTV even on extenders.

Glitchy

DriveBender (WHS2011 DE replacement) is working perfectly for me. Folder duplication included. Still in beta but for my needs, working perfectly, with MyMovies, automated ripping and bluray serving. In fact my 2011 WHS is working far better than WHS1 ever did, even with DriveBender in beta.

Rumors of more than one DrivePool (DE) in the future on the same box. Set of drives for movies and set of drives for recorded TV anyone? And then a pool for data!

YMMV, but the WHS world has not ended

Jeff

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.