Strange Audio Problem

Home Forums Home Theater Computers Strange Audio Problem

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Recently, when I went to play a recorded episode of Supernatural for my wife, the audio was terribly distorted; it sounded very “scratchy”.  So I tuned in to the local CW channel on DirecTV to see what was going on.  The show that was on at that time had the same problem going on when I chose “Watch Live TV”.  When I switch the audio receiver to the input that my DirecTV receiver comes through, the distortion is not there.  If I switch back to the computer, but put the DirecTV receiver on a different channel, there is no distortion.  I had never experienced the distortion before, or at least I thought not, so I browsed through my recordings to see if I had any others that were recorded from that same channel.  I found ‘Reaper’ so I tried playing it, and there was no audio distortion.  But everything I try on that channel now has it.  Some background on this particular channel…most channels I watch on DirecTV I listen to at -50.0 db through my Yamaha receiver, but this channel I have to turn back to -60.0 db to keep it at the same level.  Secondly, this channel does have audio problems some times in the form of all the sound going to the left speaker instead of being in stereo.  I have tried everything I know on my computer; I’ve updated the sound card’s drivers (Chaintech AV-710); I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers; I’ve updated AC3 Filter; I’ve tried lowering the volume level of the PC; I’ve changed decoders in SageTV…none of that worked.  I’m almost convinced it’s the channel its self, but the fact that I don’t hear it when watching it straight from DirecTV and not through the PC has me doubting.  My other thought is the sound card, but since it doesn’t do this on any other channel, music, or DVD I can’t believe that’s it either.  What do ya’ll think?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.